Insulating a garage

Hi,

Tip query here. One of the delayed projects (not renter damae this time, origonal construction), is to insulate the garage. It has no insulation at all right now except at the wall to the house.

The plan is fairly simple. The pink stuff in a roll will do. All beams are exposed. Paper layer towards the heat source (grin, outside wall I guess in our case of the south). Covering it required then by code. It's the covering that we query.

Cost is not as relevant as ease. Code is pretty standard here (cover the fiberglass with something fire resistant). Project slated for spring when it's warm enough to comfortably work out there.

We simply do not want to bother with drywall. It's a garage and intended to remain one. The simplist product to use seems to be sheet paneling. Any easier ideas?

Reply to
cshenk

I use 3/8" drywall. Lighter to work with, easy to cut or trim. If you plan to hang garden tools and the like, consider plywood. That may not meet code though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Here is a possible product......poly faced / fire resistance that may or may not require drywall depending on local codes.

In a garage, for utility & cleanliness and if you can get away without using drywall...... I would suggest covering the insulation with the thickest / cheapest plywood you can find, at least 1/2".

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

"BobK207" wrote

(snipped as wouldnt quote right).

Very interesting! Problem is web page says my nearest distributor is in Denver CO.

That would however the the ticket for our needs.

I have a friend who may be ripping out some really ugly thin panelling wood that the kids crayoned on. His garage is slated to be shifted to an extra living room (drywall and all). He debating putting the drywall up over it, or taking it down so he can run wires easier then put new insulation in and drywall it.

Don (husband) came up with an idea to run by you guys. Those large sheets of ceiling tile would be pretty easy to just nail up along the roof line with the fiberglass rolled stuff between the beams.

More explaining needed. Don and I both are reasonably experienced DIY sorts with all but plumbing and electrics. With plumbing, we can easily replace a toilet etc. We are however older and I have serious back issues (not wheelchair yet but can not lift much at all). I can climb a ladder up to the roof of the garage and hold insulation while Don secures it. I could hold a ceiling tile as well when he nails it. Together, we can not handle a sheet of drywall or plywood at the ceiling level. I think a sheet of thin panelling would work. 1/2 inch plywood would just be too heavy.

If you add cost of labor to have it done for us, the more expensive products we can do ourselves win in the end on 'price total'.

I know those sheets of ceiling tiles cost *much* more per square foot than drywall, but we'd have to hire someone and the preliminary checks on how much that would be for the ceiling (plywood less at 1500$) were from 2,000 to 2,500 just for the ceiling alone.

I like Don's idea. I'd have posted it in the first post but he came up with it just 30 mins ago. He says it has a neat advantage. See, he gets a new boy-toy. A pneumatic nail driver ;-)

Any better ideas well appreciated! Meantime, this looks like about 500$ in materials and a new boy-toy (grin).

I will see first if I can find the stuff you mentioned, in some local store. That would be even easier!

Reply to
cshenk

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

Grin, thanks! I was trying to not do the 'oh pity me' bit but i cant lift much at all. DDD which I seem to recall you as well have? Recent MRI shows that dagnabbit, another one went. Center back this time.

The relevant ones are the mid to upper neck that give carpal tunnel like symptoms and prevent me from lifting anything over 20 lbs above my shoulders. (relevant info, cant not lift above head for long and not much, rest is just chat).

So, with no fancy gear, anything as heavy as plywood or drywall is out for the upper parts unless we pay labor fees to have it done.

Any ideas you have for this will be appreciated!

Reply to
cshenk

ndrywall, but we'd have to hire someone and the preliminary checks on how

I didn't realize that this porject was ceiling work....overhead work with back issues is a no-no. BTDT no project is work a back injury.

Those ceiling tiles are pretty weak stuff. But for a ceiling just about anything would work.

A great tool for drywalling (or sheathing) a ceiling is a drywall lift. You can postion the sheet & just use a drill / driver with drywall screws or nail it up.

Check out your local Craigslist...you might be able to buy & then flip it. That way you could dry wall the ceiling at your pace & not rack up rental costs.

Rental runs about $30 to $50 pre day but here's cheapo one

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I slipped a "line" of plywood all along the walls where I might want to hang things; prettier than putting it on top. Then just covered all with fire-resistant drywall. Passed inspection fine, including electrical.

Twayne

Reply to
Twayne

intended to

ng. =EF=BF=BDAny

I used "Liner". Liner is pole barn metal siding, but with only 1 or 2 coats of paint and it costs less than regular metal siding. They will sell to the inch in length and it is 3 feet wide. You can get it in most colors, I did mine in white. Unlike drywall, there is no finising or painting. You just have to run horizontal perlins on the walls to screw it to. It is easily washed, hard to dent and has the "garage" look. I used it on the ceiling and walls. It looks great.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

Corrugated plastic roofing. Polycarbonate sheets - a 1/4" 4x8 sheet of this stuff weighs about five pounds. One use is for political signs - maybe your local sign company can make you a deal on some left-over McCain boards?

Reply to
HeyBub

You may have to bother with drywall per local code and/or insurance requirement. Drywall doesn't burn.

Reply to
Bob M.

Ditto....Rent a lift and pay a couple of teenagers to help....

Reply to
benick

"BobK207" wrote

Yeah.

I figured the thicker ones (about 1/3 inch thick or so) would work. Then the walls in a possible free panelling (Paint them later to cover the crayon etc).

Didnt know they were so cheap! Still, if doing this against the actual rafters (so we can store stuff in the beams) it wont lift high enough. An idea though! Thanks!

Plenty of time to plan here. Thats why I asked early ;-)

Reply to
cshenk

Reply to
cshenk

"Bob M." wrote

Thats ok, sheet panelling is legal inside too. Least ways, here it is. I'd be suprised if it wasnt elsewhere.

Reply to
cshenk

If you decide to go with the metal, email me and I'll give you a few pointers if you need them.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote

Thanks Hank! That was another one I ran by the 'local code dudes' and it was definately allowed here for interior garage use as long as still spec'd as a garage. In fact, they liked it better than drywall for this particular application and said it was 'odd' for living space too but no rules against it if the house later adapts to use this as a living space.

My impression was 'not a listed item' against inside use but listed for barns and garages.

I hope that makes sense. We are sensibly checking *early* to get the right products to suit our needs and finances. I so hate to be rushed ;-)

Reply to
cshenk