battery leakage

I left batteries in a radio and just found that some tan crusty stuff accumulated is on one of the negative contacts. I guess that battery leaked and dried. It seems I can scrape it off with some difficulty.

If I go to the trouble of scraping it all off, will it work or have I ruined the radio?

Thanks bonnie

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

I've had good luck cleaning it off if it's only on the battery contacts. If it got into the circuitry, not so much.

Scrape off what you can, then wipe everything down with dilute vinegar, followed by dilute baking soda, followed by plain water.

The vinegar will neutralize any basic chemicals. The baking soda will neutralize leftover vinegar and any acidic chemicals. The plain water will get rid of the baking soda.

Let everything dry for a few days, then try your radio.

Check your batteries for a warranty. The manufacturer might buy you a new, similar model.

Reply to
SteveBell

That depends if it got into the circuits, or just on the battery contacts. If it's just the contacts, you should be safe, although they can corrode away. Radio shack has battery holders so you can replace that part. Besides scraping off the crud, use Q-tips and some rubbing alcohol to clean them well. Rubbing alcohol contains water, so let the thing dry well before you use it. If the contacts are corroded, use a wire brush on them to expose bare metal.

Reply to
Jimw

"Bonnie Jean" wrote in news:gkt95f$5cj$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

if ALKALINE cells,use vinegar to neutralize the leakage. If "heavy-duty" cells,use a baking soda solution. Q-tips are good for applying the solutions. Then clean again with plain water,and dry.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Were they Duracells? I've had several leaks with them before I discovered the problem and quit buying them. They do claim to have a warranty as someone else mentioned.

Reply to
Ulysses

"Ulysses" wrote in news:gktov3$ipe$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

I don't buy Duracells anymore for the same reason.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

A rag to clean , and you will know, let us know., I rhime. who gives a crap on his rap crap

Reply to
ransley

Should work. Most of the time, batteries leak from the flat negative end. So the corrosion is on the spring. This can be a lot of work to get it going again. But, most likely you can get it cleaned up. Sometimes water on Q-tip will help scrub off the corrosion.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks to everyone. I'll try to clean it up. I found the regular cord and the radio works so I guess it's not busted.

bonnie

Reply to
Bonnie Jean