I left batteries in a radio and just found that some tan crusty stuff
accumulated is on one of the negative contacts. I guess that battery leaked
and dried. It seems I can scrape it off with some difficulty.
If I go to the trouble of scraping it all off, will it work or have I ruined
I've had good luck cleaning it off if it's only on the battery
contacts. If it got into the circuitry, not so much.
Scrape off what you can, then wipe everything down with dilute vinegar,
followed by dilute baking soda, followed by plain water.
The vinegar will neutralize any basic chemicals. The baking soda will
neutralize leftover vinegar and any acidic chemicals. The plain water
will get rid of the baking soda.
Let everything dry for a few days, then try your radio.
Check your batteries for a warranty. The manufacturer might buy you a
new, similar model.
That depends if it got into the circuits, or just on the battery
contacts. If it's just the contacts, you should be safe, although
they can corrode away. Radio shack has battery holders so you can
replace that part. Besides scraping off the crud, use Q-tips and some
rubbing alcohol to clean them well. Rubbing alcohol contains water,
so let the thing dry well before you use it. If the contacts are
corroded, use a wire brush on them to expose bare metal.
Should work. Most of the time, batteries leak from the flat
negative end. So the corrosion is on the spring. This can be
a lot of work to get it going again. But, most likely you
can get it cleaned up. Sometimes water on Q-tip will help
scrub off the corrosion.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.