Battery Leakage.

Well, I started getting ready for a trip today and thought it was time to set things up right for an extended away period. I cleanup the shop, put covers on all the tools, oiled the bench (disposed of the rags properly), put the power tool batteries away fully charged and separate from the tools themselves so any thieves will have to search or buy/steal more batteries. Wiped down the machines with lanolin oil then turned off all switches and power sources, finally, turned off the main breaker to the shop and locked it up good and tight.

Then on to the yard shed, removed all rags and junk, squeezed excess air out of containers of fuel so they don't pop their lids in the heat and secured the shed.

Finally, inside to prep for the trip. Got out the Streetfinder GPS and worked out a scenic route along the coast road that would get us to Adelaide, partway through the upload I got a low power message. After the download I checked the batteries - oh no! Leakage! Two weeks since purchased from the shop, the Eveready Energizers had leaked into the battery compartment and started causing damage. A quick search on Al Gore's internet showed that I needed to wash it out with 50/50 white vinegar and water, then use methylated spirited (alcohol) to help dry it out.

About an hour later I have it all cleaned up and only minimal damage has occurred, though it could have been much worse. What gets me a little riled is the fact these are new batteries, in a new $GPS$, and have not been abused at all in my care. Their leakage could have caused $1500 damage and there is not a darn thing I could have done about it (there is no warranty on damage caused by faulty batteries in Australia).

Anyway, I guess I got lucky and noticed it before too much damage was done, only a contact plate and some of the casing was affected.

You may want to check some of your equipment, take the batteries out if you are not using it.

Merry Christmas to you all, and have a safe, ten fingered, New Year.

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

Good point, Gregoise. Particularly with the steamy weather we're getting of late all care is needed with this battery-op equipment.

Thanks a lot. It's a bit of a shirty one for me this year, but I'll still try to enjoy the company of the kids and their enthusiasm. You folks have a very good Yule, K?

Reply to
Noons

"Noons" reckons...

I might get to see you in Sydney this year, I expect a bit of travel with the new job (WGCDR position at Laverton). Also I still want to get the Hock blade (if your up for it still) and I have a couple of new HNT toys you may be interested in (1" shoulder and a Tulipwood palm plane + LN Independance dovey saw). *meep meep*

I should be back from Adelaide early in the new year so drop me an email if you want to get the Hocks.

Best for the season to you and yours Noons,

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

Hehehe! Can't keep you away from the place, eh? ;) I'm off ACSS for the time being, at least until July04. Probably back by then. I'm in North Sydney for the time being doing Mines and we moved to Mona Vale. Make sure you bring your cozzies: the beach is only 500 yards East of where we live now!

Yes, very much so. Got a new Preston spokeshave that I want to get a blade for and the Rev might just have something for it. Besides, I need some new knife blades.

:D

No worries. You know how to contact me anyways. Make sure you use the new domain optusnet.com.au instead of the old one in optushome.com.au, I'm blocking everything on the old one now. And the phone is new as well, drop me a line and I'll send it.

Thanks a lot, same to you and your clan.

Reply to
Noons