Recommend a good solid PC keyboard please

I'm getting fed up with lightweight PC keyboards that skid about the desk, or have silly little feet to prop them up that are everlastingly collapsing. Please recommend something a bit more solid than the various Dell, HP & Compaq ones I seem to be plagued with !

I used years back to use IBM original AT enhanced keyboards, and not only were they solid, they had tactile feedback, but similar modern ones don't seem to exist, unless YOU can tell me differently :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I've got one of the old clicky ones & not sure what to do with it. I prefer modern lightweight ones!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

At the budget end logitech are amongst the best, but for serious use get a cherry.

And pay £70 plus for it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My Corsair illuminating gaming keyboard (Raptor K30) weighs a ton - just like the old IBM ones. Full conventional shape and layout with some extra keys added.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Huge

If you want to pay money

If you want to pay more or less money, a Model M from Ebay with a suitable converter.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

They do exist, but mechanical switches that provide decent feedback don't come cheap. Expect to pay 3 times as much

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nice keyboard but a bit too clicky for me too. Also needs a lot of desk space.

If yours is the IBM model M for a PS/2 then it might be worth ?50.

pamela

Invite OP to make you an offer :-)

Reply to
Scott

I *much* prefer keyboards that don't have clicky switches. The noise of keys or mouse buttons clicking really gets on my nerves, in the way that chalk on a blackboard sets some people's teeth on edge. One of my early PCs (*) had a very heavy keyboard with a metal base and keys that made a very loud mechanical click. I went out and bought a very cheap keyboard which was much better.

(*) It must have been old: the keyboard had a large DIN plug and the mouse had a 9-pin serial connector, so it was older even than PS/2 connectors, never mind USB.

Reply to
NY

You will need to find a UK supplier, but I am sure they exist. These

*are* the IBM ones.
Reply to
Bob Eager

Ha! I have loads of them. But I'm keeping them. I have 3 or 4 in use right now.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The better quality end of Dell are not bad actually, certainly not light. The feet aspect on all keyboards are frankly underengineered, so best just use bigger stick on feet at the back.

Logitch used to be good. I've gone back to an old Packhard Bell one with suitable ps2 to usb powered adaptor.

At least I can feel the home keys on this one. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes if Cherry are as good as they used to be, then you won't regret the expenditure at all. I had one for my old windows 3.1 machine and it outlasted the machines. I only pensioned it off due to its lack of the extra keys I need now not being able to see to use a mouse any more. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Inside the World's Greatest Keyboard"

keyboard.html

Reply to
pamela

We know where you live!

You are the librarian of Unseen University AICMFP :)

Reply to
Robin

fer modern lightweight ones!

Sure. It has a din plug, so wants a little ps/2 to din adaptor. More import antly 4 of the key caps have come off, otherwise I'd have put it on ebay. S o it waits until I find them. No doubt there are many other keyboard whose caps would fit. Or there are the not very useful numerical pad ones I suppo se. Brand is Vale, but no model number that I could see. It all looks good apart from the missing keycaps. Can do the transaction via ebay so you get payment protection etc.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

to expand a little - IBM Model M style for real hard core Keyboard action

- Keyboards with Cherry *keyswitches*. This usually means the 'MX' series I IRC

- Other makes of keyboards exist which use Cherry Keyswitches. There is a s omewhat cultish community of keyboard fans who will get into far more detai ls than most of us would want to get into (esp. for gaming etc)

The Keyboard Company (no affiliation):

are based in the UK, have a lot of different models, and will give advice. As will such things though it is much better to try beforehand. IIUC TheKey boardCo will exchange for different models within a short period of purchas e; better check with them though.

HTH Jon N (using Cherry MX Blue, IBM Model M, Filco Ninja keyboards...)

Reply to
jkn

Evesham Micros?

Used to be half the price of the equivalent spec Dell, when I was involved in PC Purchasing.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Watch out for mechanical keyboards using Cherry (or similar) Brown switches. They are nowhere near as clicky as the Blue type, but have a degree of tactile feedback which a lot of people seem to like. Amazon usually lists a choice, including various backlit designs. Of course, mechanical switches will always cost more than membranes, so be prepared to pay more than the usual "bargain basement" prices.

Reply to
mick