Recommend a good solid PC keyboard please

What does 'mechanical' mean? How could keys be anything other than mechanical?

Reply to
Scott

I've been inside! This one gets dismantled and cleaned about every three years. I need to dig out a spare as it's due again. It has been going since November 1989.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Scott was thinking very hard :

Hall Effect is electronic switched. The key has a magnet embedded in it which triggers the Hall Effect switch.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

"Why purchase an imitator when you can buy the original ?Model M?. We have produced the buckling spring ?Click? keyboard for IBM and thousands of discriminating users worldwide for 21 years?. Join the many that have made the switch to a much more accurate data entry alternative."

or for UK supplier

Reply to
DJC

Some of the keyboards designed for Gaming might be more up your street - quite often heavy, and available with Cherry switches. There are several different types - each given a colour - they range from light to tactile, to ones with an IBM style mechanical "click".

Also look at some of the Microsoft ones. Some of those are reasonably heavy.

Reply to
John Rumm

It refers to the switch construction. Many will just be a conductive rubber membrane over a PCB with intersecting tracks printed at the key positions. Pushing a key depresses the rubber onto the tracks shorting them at that location. There is no discrete mechanical switch as such. Posher keyboards will include actual discrete switches.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, anthing with Cherry Brown switches. Ducky keyboards are good and heavy.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

There are membrane keyboards that give feedback as well. The Compaq (KB-9860 it says on the back) I'm using for instance, it's also heavy. IIRC it has a bit of 2 mm steel behind the entire keys area.

Donno how much it cost, came with a Pentium III machine a good few,

15?, years ago. the lower part of the E legend has gone and a few other keys are starting to get a bit faint but daily use for quite a while.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ah! That certainly fits with the din plug. Looks nicely specced for 92. But win95 in 92?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I paid £135 for this IBM keyboard in 1989. I'm still getting my money's worth!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think not.

Windows 3.1(1) was still popular 5 years later.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Try Elesar