Video recorder files

I've just dismantled an old video recorder in a search for a working ide dvd drive. That operation was a failure as the dvd drive brings up a weird data out of range error when used in a standard old PC.

I also took out the 160GB hard drive and had a look at what was on it, and it turns out there is a lot of stuff I would like to keep.

The file system is FAT32, and the files are mpg's which mainly play fine. Each mpg has a .map file associated with it, but I ignored them. Example is: CLIP1.MAP(4096k), CLIP1.MPG

However, some of the files seem to be divided up, so we have, for example: CLIP2.MAP(8192k), CLIP2.MPG, CLIP2.MPG, CLIP2.MPG, CLIP2.MPG, CLIP2.MPG, CLIP2.MPG. Each MPG file is 4,190,208k except the last which is shorter, so the machine obviously divided up the files to manageable sizes. None of these mpg files will play in any of the players I have, eg VLC. All the multiple mpg's have the double length map files.

Has anyone any idea of how to see these longer files? Searches about .Map files have failed so far.

The recorder is an old Aldi Tevion. When I researched it many years ago, I seem to remember it was made by a Japanese washing machine company during their brief foray into video systems.

Reply to
Bill