Help to copy files please

I wish to copy files from DVDs to my computer. Sadly they are labelled trck1 etc on the discs, so I cannot copy more than one. Is there away around this apart from laboriously rebelling each individually? TIA

Reply to
Broadback

Put each DVD into a separate folder?

If you use Windows Media Player or VLC or similar (rather than File Manager), I think they will catalogue the files with artist/title information, if that's available on the internet.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

More info needed. Are these the names on a commercial disc. I think most discs these days are protected and in any case running them is seldom that simple. You need a dvd conversion tool. I'm a bit out of the loop these days on the state of the arrt. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

First question is, are these movie DVDs or data DVDs? And if movies, are the commercial ones (i.e. likely to have copy protection)?

(if data, and just a filename collision problem - then I can do different instructions!)

For copying copy protected DVDs you need DVD "ripper" software that can also disable the CSS protection on the disk. There are many ways to do this - both free and paid for. Of the free options I would look at:

For a commercial solution, then I prefer AndDVD HD from RedFox:

Once installed that makes the copy protection on any inserted disk just "disappear", and from then on it can be treated just like an unprotected disk.

So programs like Handbrake:

can then access the disc directly and transcode it into a single file in whatever movie format and resolution you want.

Reply to
John Rumm

Surely you simply copy each DVD to a different directory (folder) on the computer, then the names won't clash.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes I could but that is very cumbersome, especially if I wish to play random tracks.

Reply to
Broadback

If you convert each complete DVD to a single video file, the problem goes away. So a typical DVD rip will contain a VIDEO_TS folder, that in turn contains a number of .VOB, .IFO, and .BUP files with names often starting VTS_ etc. If you point Handbrake at the whole folder, it will render the whole lot down to a single file of your choice, e.g: The_sound_of_music.mk4 :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

DVD Shrink, freeware.

Dex

It sounds like you actually have CDs

there is a program called abcde

It really works and searches the internet to find out what the tracks are called

sadly its nor for windows

But its worth installing linux just to use it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you are using the file manager let it rename the files when it flags up that the file names are duplicated. You should be able to do it in one batch per disk and you'll get files named track 1 (2) etc.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Most Media Players will random play from a selection of directories.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Winamp

--

Reply to
GB

Put each one in a separate folder on the computer.

You need to do something so you can identify the file by name anyway.

Some file copy systems will add an incrementing number to the file name automatically if you don?t need a sensible label.

Reply to
Sam45

There are plenty of CD rippers for Windows which work the same way. I've ripped DVDs, but I forget how.

You can't just copy the files off an audio CD; you need to 'rip' them to convert the format.

It would have been helpful if the OP had said what kind of discs they were: actually DVDs, or maybe CDs. Commercially produced, or home made.

Reply to
Max Demian

I vaguely heard a rumour that the copy protection on new BluRay 4k disks was more sophisticated; do you know if these can be copied just as easily? Not that I have many of them!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

they are very hard to rip.

I think only Apple kit can play them let alone rip them

But that may be old news.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have two samples in this picture.

The top picture is a CDDA Audio Disc (600-800MB). That's the one that has "track" as the name.

The bottom picture is a DVD Video dual layer [hollywood] (up to 9GB or so)

The top one needs a ripper.

<=== VLC media player, down near the bottom

VLC does one track at a time. Yikes!

OK, let's try this one. Exact Audio Copy has a good reputation.

Name: eac-1.5.exe Size: 5,111,512 bytes (4991 KiB) SHA1: F4B9DA1ABC0ECFCD7466EC903BF87BBA51872B87

Results: All tracks in one shot, but a 40 minute CD takes 10 minutes to rip. EAC slows the drive down, if there are errors. It spotted at least two recoverable errors on my media.

EAC has many fancy features, such as finding a set of files with the same checksum, in some database. It can also find better names for the tracks.

*******

If you made your own DVD Video (I have a total of 3 discs), the .vob on those are not encrypted, and just copy. VLC could play those.

If the title was purchased at the store, a Hollywood title, those are protected by CSS (and many other protectors, too numerous to mention). You need a DeCSS at a minimum to copy off the stuff there, and put it in a format it can be used.

A google search like this, will give the names of tools.

site:videohelp.com dvd copy

[scroll down]

You can test VLC and see what it can do. It's supposed to at some point, had libdvdcss in it. Use the most recent version (3.0.8) since older versions couldn't play the video without artifacts.

You should untick the "capture menu" option, because when I tried that with my sample DVD, the capture went into a loop (kept capturing the 2 minute menu over and over).

With the "Capture menu" disabled, it captured the first selection (1 hour 48 minutes) and converted that to a

1.1GB MP4. It then started capturing the other selections on the DVD, but the encoder stopped and no more data was added to the output file.

I expect with some trouble, you could get it to capture the second selection and so on.

VLC will use some hardware acceleration on your computer, it will decode the video with NVDEC or similar. But it chose to recompress the movie with the CPU. It took 5GB of files off the DVD and made the 1.1GB output from it. I think the processing rate was about 10x realtime or so. A 2 hour movie would be 12 minutes, if that works out. I'd rather see it use the video card for both decode and re-encode, but maybe some day.

I had something on Linux that did a better job. I don't remember what the output format was, and I think I chucked the files (since I can always decrypt it again).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

AnyDVD HD (and others) will rip them IIUC, however the trick is finding a COTS Blueray drive that will read the disks. Typically you need to get one of the UHD compatible drives[1] for which a modified firmware is available, and then flash it with the new firmware. (in effect downgrading the drive to remove some of the latest protections)

[1] Asus and LG both make some IIRC.
Reply to
John Rumm

Exact Audio Copy is my favourite for ripping audio, saving to .flac, and automatically getting all the track info and album art at the same time.

Reply to
John Rumm

That makes sense. I've noticed that with a commercial player you can't even split the signal as the player demands a handshake with the individual display rather than an intermediate switch.

Reply to
Roger Hayter