Work top edging glue recommendations please

I need to stick a couple of worktop edges on, simple I thought, but neither of my contact adhesives seem to work well. I'm sure I *used* to use contact adhesive for this but it really doesn't seem so sticky as it used to be. (The ones I have are Syntic plastic adhesive from Germany and Toolstation spray adhesive which has worked well for me in other applications)

So I did a web search and while quite a few people seemed to be using contact adhesive there were quite a few suggesting PVA plus, maybe, ironing it. Is PVA + iron a sensible way of doing it? I have PVA 'in stock' so if it works then that will be a good way to do it.

Otherwise what contact/impact adhesive is recommended?

Reply to
Chris Green

PVA needs to soak into the surface of the material being bonded so good tor porous material but poor with impervious materials. It?s a couple of years I last bonded an edging strip but at the time managed to get hold of traditional impact adhesive (cannot remember the brand) but this modern stuff is crap!

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

CT1 sealant adhesive?

Iron-on only works with edging strips that have the iron-on glue granules already on.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

A proper solvent based glue like the original Evostick or Bostick have worked well for me in the past.

Ironing will only work with proper iron on edging I would have thought? PVA might be good choice[1] for sealing the cut edge prior to glueing, but it would not be my first choice for gluing the edge on.

[1] Although these days I would use SBR rather than PVA, since it penetrates better, and is totally water insoluble once cured.
Reply to
John Rumm

I believe the iron on edging uses PVA as the hot melt glue.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Original Evostick contact glue works for me.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike