Best glue for edging

I have a computer 'desk' with simulated wood ie plastic edging which keeps coming away when I catch it with my feet/hands/clothing. I glue it back from time to time with yoohoo and other glues which come to hand, but none seem to last very long. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Jim S

You need to sand off all the existing glue. Then try a high strength impact adhesive, or superglue.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You would really need to get some new edging as the existing stuff is proba bly manky. For myself I'd take the desk edge back slightly with a router to get a clean surface then get some iron on edging. The original was applied with hot melt glue wit an edging machine. You won't be able to replicate t his easily.

Reply to
fred

A decent impact adhesive and some pressure for a while till it dries? But clean off as much as you can of the old stuff. Sadly, Evostick seems to be a shadow of its former self since they changed the solvent - I find the stuff Lidl sometimes sells rather better - and cheaper.

Other stuff which is good is Evostick Serious - but that does need clamping or whatever until it dries.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would replace it with stripwood which could be pinned and glued and use wood glue (cleaning the old surface well).

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Use an iron to stick it back. You may find the new glue wont melt & stick though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

After the replies and the lack of success to date, I am minded to remove the loose ones, plane/sand the edge and give it a coat of varnish

Reply to
Jim S

Jim S wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@jimXscott.co.uk:

Just a thought - is it feasable to use a hot melt glue gun to spread some glue onto the edge of the desk and then apply the edging usine an iron to re-melt and activate the glue. Would it work as well as iron on edging?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

No. that wouldn't work. Run the risk of melting the edging and beside he might have trouble buying the un-glued edging.

Nail a bit of hockey moulding to it and give it a coat of varnish ?

Reply to
fred

Having installed a number of worktops in a school a few years ago (8?) I found that i had a good fix by sanding down the chipboard to a smooth surface and then attaching the unglued edging which came with the worktop using contact adhesive. Most of the edges applied this way are still there looking good.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

ISTR PVA works as hotmelt. Just buy new edging, iron it on. Or better, use wood.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Is that 'Gorilla glue' any good? Supposedly it foams (which would fill gaps) and can only be removed by mechanical means once set (which suggests it might be reasonably strong). I used some to attach wood trim at the back of a worktop, where contact cement kept failing, but have no idea if it'll be any good in the long run.

Reply to
Windmill