Best glue for sticking shoe insoles in place?

So many times, I have bought shoes in which the insole has come loose, so that every time I remove the shoe, the insole gets pulled out of place. Usually, these insoles are made of some kind of fairly stiff, very lightweight foam-like material with a fabric surface. Can anyone suggest the best type of glue to stick them down with (permanently)?
Some ideas that have occurred to ne include: spray adhesive, cow gum, double-sided carpet tape... Any suggestions? What have you found to be easy, mess-free, and durable?
TIA A

Just a point - I had some cheap trainers - to take on holiday with me. They were fine at home but when I got to Greece, the glue melted and the insole bunched up into a sticky mess. Good Luck

Pritt stick - doesn't work for long. I might try some spray-on adhesive. Thing is, I'm not going to buy an adhesive just for this job, so it will be what I already have. Grips Like Shit or silicone, perhaps? I doubt PVA will do it.
On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 17:55:01 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

I'd go for "Sticks Like" (formerly "Sticks Like Sh*t" but they've dropped the already-coy last bit)
Anyway, good stuff all round.
--
John Stumbles

Avoid cliches like the plague.

The glue doesn't usually fail, but an over-rigid glue overloads the foamy lower surface of the insole and it's that that breaks first.
Copydex - bit more elastic than most. Expensive these days though, and it doesn't keep for all that long.
Otherwise your favour Evo-stik alike, and just keep re-doing it as needed. Evo-stik 528 if you have to buy it (a workshop stalwart), or Evo-stik Timebond as the nicest to use. Otherwise the same solvent- based PU glue for shoe undersoles, if you already have it open.

Yes, AFAIK, that is just latex 'rubber solution' - the same thing as the old 'Cow Gum' (which may or may not exist any more). It was fairly ideal for this kind of job, due to its flexibility.
Thanks also to the other responees.

They're different. Copydex is natural rubber in water (with the help of some ammonia), but Cow Gum uses naptha as a solvent instead. I think Cow Gum is a different rubber too, to give that clean rub-off of dried excess that made it so useful for graphics work.

Yes; now you mention it, I do remember cow gum had an intoxicating smell, compared to the latex-like benign smell of copydex. ISTR cow gum had a yellowish hue, whereas Copydex is white.

And just how did you get on with your steamy window?

Please see my reply to your last post in the relevant thread.

I no longer have that thread. Occasionally I flatten all posts in newsgroups.

My d/g misty window, became a nice clear, s/g window in the bat of an eyelid! The outer pane shattered when I tried to drill it. It was safety glass. :(
Not to worry; I will replace the whole window soon. I don't much like the broken one, anyway. The style is wrong for the house.
replying to Al Shahadie, Robin wrote: Puncture repair glue that you use to fix your cycle bikes.
On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 14:44:01 +0000, Robin
who posted on September 24, 2012, 7:14 am
Robin wrote: etc etc .