Shoe Glue

What's the best glue to glue leather uppers to soles? Never been able to find one that works. (For long)
On 16/01/2018 17:37, harry wrote:

Are you a cobbler? Surely you use stitching. Or do you mean sticking a new sole on a worn sole?
--
Max Demian

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 18:47:46 +0000, Max Demian

Well he talks a load of Cobblers most of the time.
G.Harman
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 09:37:12 -0800 (PST), harry

Nor me but the longest lasting was "fantastic elastic" by 151 adhesives, sourced at a local pound shop.
Last repair was done with stixall clear which I was using to seal some guttering so used it on the wife's shoes, she doesn't use them in the rain so I don't know how they will fair.
AJH
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 23:35:10 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@loampitsfarm.co.uk wrote:

I've a metal bech outside that's glued to the slabs using Stixall Clear. About 3 - 4 years in all weathers and it's still immovable.
I would have bolted it down but the feet are too close to the edges of the slabs - I could see a potential drawback to that.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Yes I use it a lot. It tends to go off in the nozzle over time so periodically using it on odds and sods delays problems.
I wasn't sure how it would survive frequent flexing.
It has proved very effective on most building jobs and a repair to a vinyl soft top on the Vitara.
It has also remained surprisingly clear, I laid a new clear, corrugated, PVC roof on a timber lean too with a shallow pitch. I made the mistake of only having one corrugation overlap and occasionally a bit of moss falling from the roof above dams a corrugation. In heavy rain this allowed water to come over the overlap. I managed to squeeze a thin bead between the sheets, from inside, which stopped the leak and is not at all conspicuous.
AJH

Yes, but that's nothing like what the OP requested. Shoes flex and any glue you use to stick bits of them together needs to flex too.
--
Chris Green
·

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 11:38:45 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Yes, I realise that. Stixall, even after a few years, is still 'rubbery'. I don't know if it's significantly elastic, though.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On Tuesday, 16 January 2018 17:37:15 UTC, harry wrote:

Even cobblers don't seem to be able to do repairs that last using glue, so I think you're out of luck.
NT
On Wednesday, 17 January 2018 04:21:10 UTC, tabby wrote:

you could glue then sew it, just rather more work.
NT
Don't know of one as most shoes tend to be sewn or welded through in some way. The snag is that when they come off the leather is so degraded by bending that the surface peels away after a time in any case. I think there comes a time where its get a new pair. A friend used to araldite his shoes, the snag with this was by the time he had done it it was so solid it acted more like a clog! Brian
--
----- -
On Wednesday, 17 January 2018 07:04:53 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well there is a glue, they are glued on at the moment. Clear stuff. But I don't know what it is. They are in near perfect condition except for the separation of upper from sole.
Are you sure that there is not a sliver of the leather on the glue? I'd imagine it might have been some kind of stuff like bostik, judging by the smell once when I was walking over a lava flow in La Palma in the 1980s. Remind me not to try that again. Brian
--
----- -

I appreciate that the amount of stress will be bigger for shoes but I had this problem with a pair of slippers that hasn't been stitched properly
I thought that "super" glue won't work because it is too brittle and the flexing of the object will break the join, so I bought some rubber based glue for the job
lasted less than a week before it started to come apart again
So I tried the super glue
still holding more than 3 months since
tim
Maybe rtv and staples? Brian
--
----- -

+1 for Stixall - repaired a pair of working boots which were at the end of their lives, and got another 6 months out of them.
Charles F

I've never, ever managed to stick anything with Super Glue, not even myself. I think I must have some sort of 'anti glue' factor in my make up! :-)
--
Chris Green
·

On 17/01/18 11:40, Chris Green wrote:

Super Glue seems the most inappropriate name for Super Glue!
cynochrlaate or whatever its really called is very hard to remember though.
Brian
--
----- -

Cyanoacrylate sounds pretty simple to me, and less childish than "super glue".
--

Roger Hayter