Shoe Glue

What's the best glue to glue leather uppers to soles? Never been able to find one that works. (For long)

Reply to
harry

Are you a cobbler? Surely you use stitching. Or do you mean sticking a new sole on a worn sole?

Reply to
Max Demian

Well he talks a load of Cobblers most of the time.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Nor me but the longest lasting was "fantastic elastic" by 151 adhesives, sourced at a local pound shop.

Last repair was done with stixall clear which I was using to seal some guttering so used it on the wife's shoes, she doesn't use them in the rain so I don't know how they will fair.

AJH

Reply to
news

Even cobblers don't seem to be able to do repairs that last using glue, so I think you're out of luck.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Don't know of one as most shoes tend to be sewn or welded through in some way. The snag is that when they come off the leather is so degraded by bending that the surface peels away after a time in any case. I think there comes a time where its get a new pair. A friend used to araldite his shoes, the snag with this was by the time he had done it it was so solid it acted more like a clog! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've a metal bech outside that's glued to the slabs using Stixall Clear. About 3 - 4 years in all weathers and it's still immovable.

I would have bolted it down but the feet are too close to the edges of the slabs - I could see a potential drawback to that.

Reply to
PeterC

Well there is a glue, they are glued on at the moment. Clear stuff. But I don't know what it is. They are in near perfect condition except for the separation of upper from sole.

Reply to
harry

I appreciate that the amount of stress will be bigger for shoes but I had this problem with a pair of slippers that hasn't been stitched properly

I thought that "super" glue won't work because it is too brittle and the flexing of the object will break the join, so I bought some rubber based glue for the job

lasted less than a week before it started to come apart again

So I tried the super glue

still holding more than 3 months since

tim

Reply to
tim...

Yes I use it a lot. It tends to go off in the nozzle over time so periodically using it on odds and sods delays problems.

I wasn't sure how it would survive frequent flexing.

It has proved very effective on most building jobs and a repair to a vinyl soft top on the Vitara.

It has also remained surprisingly clear, I laid a new clear, corrugated, PVC roof on a timber lean too with a shallow pitch. I made the mistake of only having one corrugation overlap and occasionally a bit of moss falling from the roof above dams a corrugation. In heavy rain this allowed water to come over the overlap. I managed to squeeze a thin bead between the sheets, from inside, which stopped the leak and is not at all conspicuous.

AJH

Reply to
news

Are you sure that there is not a sliver of the leather on the glue? I'd imagine it might have been some kind of stuff like bostik, judging by the smell once when I was walking over a lava flow in La Palma in the 1980s. Remind me not to try that again. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe rtv and staples? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

you could glue then sew it, just rather more work.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

+1 for Stixall - repaired a pair of working boots which were at the end of their lives, and got another 6 months out of them.

Charles F

Reply to
Charles F

Yes, but that's nothing like what the OP requested. Shoes flex and any glue you use to stick bits of them together needs to flex too.

Reply to
Chris Green

I've never, ever managed to stick anything with Super Glue, not even myself. I think I must have some sort of 'anti glue' factor in my make up! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Super Glue seems the most inappropriate name for Super Glue!

Reply to
Brian Reay

Nor me - I have wondered whether I have applied too much at times and have reduced on subsequent ocassions but still to no avail.

As I don't wear make up I can't say ;-)

Reply to
Mark Allread

I had no difficulty sticking my fingers together

quite painful prising them apart

tim

Reply to
tim...

Yes, I realise that. Stixall, even after a few years, is still 'rubbery'. I don't know if it's significantly elastic, though.

Reply to
PeterC