reinstalling shoe molding

In preparation for floor refinishing I removed the shoe molding in my 100 yr old home. Getting ready to reinstall it now (mostly came out intact). But, it was originally installed with 8d finishing nails, like 2.5 inch long nails that went into the studs I guess. I don't think I have the carpentry skills to repeat that! But, I can't just use small nails to nail the shoe molding to the baseboard because the bottom of the baseboards is about a half inch above the floor, leaving a gap. In other words behind the shoe moldings was mostly air. So what to do now? I have thought about filling in the gap with little strips of wood, or caulk, or drywall mud, or something, but it would have to be something that can hold a nail. Any suggestions welcome. Also, I am wondering why the baseboards were not just installed flush with the floor. Thanks!

Reply to
heathcliff

Just renail through the existing holes; they will have nailed into the subflooring mostly. Doesn't take a lot.

That's typical baseboard installation; leave gap for expansion and to be able to level going around the room to account for any uneven-ess in either level or flat.

Reply to
dpb

Drive the new nails thru the same hole as the old . Or use a drill bit smaller than the nails to drill a pilot hole . Assuming the flooring goes under the baseboard have you considered driving the nails down into the floor ? Pilot hole still recommended . Do you know anyone with a nail gun ? 16gauge with a 2 1/2 inch nail would be just right ... And BTW , it's much more likely that those old nails went into the sill plate (that's the 2x4 at the bottom of the studs) .

Reply to
Snag

+1

If it's the original molding it should go back into most of the original holes in both materials. Even if it doesn't, no big deal using the existing hole in the molding and driving it into whatever it hits.

Reply to
trader_4

Fill the old nail holes and use glue. Glue it on.

Reply to
Thomas