shoe molding...what flavor?

A recent post here discussed baseboard installation. I was interested since I am currently replacing ours in the FR (and eventually other rooms).

The original base was painted with the shoe being stained the color of the oak floors. I was going to repeat this with the new basebord.

However, upon investigation (my 3 or 4 trim books), I noticed that most of the upgraded baseboard pictured had painted shoe on stained floors.

As I though more about it, I came to the conclusion that builders probably have the floor installers put on stained shoe so that the trim guys don't have to come back to install the painted stuff over the freshly installed floors. In other words, it's one of those details that is just convenient/cheaper (like much of the crap in new construction) since the wood floors are the last thing installed (around here anyway).

I know it's not THAT critical and that we will eventually do what we like - probably going with painted shoe this time around.

Just thinking out loud...

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Traditionally with hardwood floors, the shoe molding is done to match ... you can certainly do what you want.

But ... it's not because it's "cheaper". Shoe molding that is, or can be, stained to match hardwood floors is actually more expensive.

It is the paint grade shoe molding that is "cheaper".

That's not to say that it may be more "inexpensive", overall, to have it installed incidental to the finishing of the hardwood floor just because the proper stain is already there and being applied.

As a builder, I have the floor contractor do it for one more excellent reason, and it has nothing to do with "cheap"... if there should be any space between the edge of the installed floor and the shoe molding, there is NO doubt who to blame it on, and I can hold therefore his feet to the fire BEFORE he's fully paid.

Reply to
Swingman

It's certainley your preference.

99% of the time, the shoe we put down is stained or painted to match the baseboard and not the floor. Although the shoe is used for practical purposes, IMO it's an added detail of the baseboard. I assume our builders agree since they all have it done that way.

BTW, we are always asked/ required to go back and install the shoe after the hardwood floors or other flooring materials are installed.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Same here, but I wondered if it was a regional thing in Swing's area.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Depends upon the floor type ... I was very specific in my discussion relating to "hardwood" floors since that was what the OP mentioned.

IME, it is rare to see anything but stained shoe molding with a stained hardwood floor (witness the OP indicating same with his original shoe molding). If you do otherwise around here in a spec house in the hardwood floor areas you will most often be asked to rip it out at some point.

But then times have changed and folks are doing all sorts of weird things to houses, and now a days many don't know the difference. It's all Frank Lloyd Wright's fault ...

Reply to
Swingman