What will dissolve Shoe Goo quickly?

Anyone know of something that will quickly dissolve cured Shoe Goo - the stuff in squeeze tube that cures to a rubber-like material?

I've tried paint remover - both citrus-based and the automotive stuff, acetone, ligher fluid, even gasoline since I'd read that it dissolves Shoe Goo. It seems to soften it some but it's got a lot of fumes and doesn't really work all that effectively from what I've seen.

I'm re-doing some sneakers so I don't want to also dissolve the sneaker material that the sole layer adheres to.

Thanks for all input.

Reply to
James

Put gasolene in a covered pot, then put it on the stove on high for 38 minutes, goo will be gone.

Reply to
ransley

I don't know the exact ingeridents. But it's likely that nothing will dissolve it once it's cured; I'd bet it's a superglue-type polymerisation.

It might be a good idea to post the ingeridents if it says anywhere

- or does anyone else know?

Andrew Usher

Reply to
Andrew Usher

Not sure it's cured and years ago when I used some, I seem to recall a chlorinated solvent like tetrachloroethylene or ethylene dichloride. Think you can buy paint removers with methylene chloride.

As a polymer it will take long time to dissolve or plasticize enough for mechanical removal.

Reply to
Frank

did you call the 800 number on the side of the tube and ask them?

Reply to
charlie

So will stove, kitchen, house...

Reply to
Moldy Cheese

It's a silicone that polymerizes when exposed to the moisture in the air. Chances are that anything you use to remove it will dissolve the shoe and leave the Shoe Goo. Your best bet is a good sharp Xacto knife.

Dangerous Bill

Reply to
Bill Penrose

IF any chemical will remove it, it would be important to know composition of the item it is being removed from. I did a google search on 'shoe goo msds" and came up with a link that provides an email addy to the co. for requesting MSDS:

...and a link for technical data:
remove w/acetone; cured, remove by cutting or scraping. "DO NOT dry-clean Shoe GOO® because dry cleaning solvent breaks down the cured adhesive.")

Reply to
Norminn

Moldy Cheese wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cheese.yummy:

Geesh!, some people are so negative.

Reply to
Red Green

Home Depot didn't have Toluene (I've also heard it'll rejuvenate dried out magic markers) MEK definitely does the job. Nasty stuff though - definitely outdoor use only. I've got the shoe set up outside on a table, upside down - lay a cloth over the shoe bottom, pour the MEK over the cloth holding my breath, then form a sheet of tinfoil over it to impede evaporation. After a while it turns the Shoe Goo to mush, which I scrape off with a folding knife, which seems to be the perfect tool - use the flatter part of the blade to clean the broad areas and curved depressions, the pointy part to get in the corners.

Thanks!

Reply to
James

replying to ransley, Huuitib wrote: That's idiotic. You'll burn down the house that way;!!!

Reply to
Huuitib

You have spent more on solvents than to buy another pair of shoes.

Plus contributed greatly to depleting the ozone.

:-)

Andy

Reply to
A K

replying to ransley, HandyDan wrote: I tried it, it worked great. What a miracle. It took care of all the house work. The leaves I've been meaning to clear off the roof, gone. Dirty siding, I'll never have to clean it again. It even took care of the haircut I've been putting off. THANKS!!! You keep them good ideas coming.

Reply to
HandyDan

replying to A K, Doitmyselfer wrote: So you use ozone to remove the glue? Where can I get some ozone? Does Home Depot sell it?

Reply to
Doitmyselfer

Coleman fuel softens it so it can be scraped off. It is cleaner than gasoline. And doesnt leave any residue. MEK aparently also works but haven't tried yet.

Reply to
Lars

You may or may not know this, but most of the posts on homeowners hub are actually from Usenet.

On Usenet, we don't see old posts, only the most recent replies. The post you just replied to is 12 years old. Please check the dates and if you feel you must reply, please include the original post in your reply.

Better yet, get a Usenet account. You can do this for free.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I think your assumption that HH posters follow up their posts and look for replies is flawed.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

But I'm quite sure 30 years from now someone there will reply.

Reply to
Dan Espen

But if we were reading 12 years ago, we might still have the post in our computer. I use an old version of Agent, 1.93, and it can't handle 12 years of AHR, but maybe version 8 can. OTOH, if the one from 12 years ago is there, replies will follow right after it, and we won't see the replies.

Life is so complicated.

Absolutely.

Reply to
micky

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 16:24:39 -0500, Dan Espen posted for all of us to digest...

Attaboy #1, but you know how that goes...

Reply to
Tekkie©