HELP with Goo-Gone spill!!

We have a brand new home. I was cleaning some stickers off the glass fireplace covers and spilled about half a cup full of goo-gone onto the fireplace hearth. It's a very light, cream-colored limestone. I wiped it up as much as I could, but it left a wet-looking spot on the stone about a foot wide. Is there some way I can get it out? Will it dissipitate through the stone over time?

I'm thinking of heating it with a small propane torch, perhaps.... a blow dryer had no effect.

Please help - this is our brand new home, we moved in 1 week ago, and this looks horrible, right in the living room. Please reply to the group.

Thanks, Ron M.

Reply to
bstevens

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:52:47 -0700 (PDT), against all advice, something compelled bstevens , to say:

Put goo-gone on the whole stone so it will look even.

On a more serious note, I'd contact the manufacturer and see if they have a suggestion.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

(Citrus and Petroleum Solvent-Based Stain Remover)

I looked at the MSDS Sheet. It suggest: STEPS TO BE TAKEN IN CASE OF SPILLAGE OR LEAKAGE: Ventilate area. Spilled material can be picked up with sorbant material. Use caution where surfaces may become slippery from spilled material.

Cat litter?

Oren

Lousy MSDS. Tells nothing about chemistry and it would not take much of a dye or pigment to set the stain. I might try some household shower spray with bleach and if that does not work the suggestion to stain the whole surface might not be a bad idea. One of my fireplace hearths is white brick and I've found it impossible to clean as stuff soaks in.

Reply to
Frank

Why not burn some wood which should discolor the whole thing evenly??

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I don't know what the constituents of goo-gone are but do know that putting a propane torch close to limestone so that it becomes hot does not sound like a good idea.

Does goo-gone have organic solvents; how volatile are these; will they evaporate over time?

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Reply to
Clot

I've seen other MSDS sheets state "proprietary mixture" and nothing more. I don't think that takes away the suggestion to use an absorbent material to dry it out.

OP could DAGS cleaning limestone.

Reply to
Oren

Spill more. Go buy more and do the whole area, you wont clean it from the stone, it may dry lighter it may not who cares it will all be even and you wont be worrying you ruined anything anymore.

Reply to
ransley

Steve Daniels wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

uhhh, you wanna burn down your house??? I never use the goo-gone. I only use regular cooking oil. It does a nice job. Don't leave opened containers. Open only when you need more product, then close again.

Reply to
TD

Its possible that what you seeing is not the goo gone but the absence of a finish that the goo gone removed.

Don't torch it!! stone masons use torches to texture stone and may make it worse.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Doesn't God make limestone?

Reply to
SteveB

Propane torch? You clean fingerprints from the wall that way too? Heck, the company has instructions for it's products on the web, as well as customer service numbers:

Since several uses end with instructions to wash with water, it seems logigal to try to wash it off. I would pile old towels around the hearth to keep water off the carpet. Then lay soaking-wet towel on the spot, let it soak, suck up with shop-vac. Repeat as needed. With a brand new house, I'd be inclined to run that scenario past the tech support at the mfg.

I've used cat litter to soak up spilled motor oil on concrete - works fine on the oil but leaves some gray residue - probably micro-particles of litter - on the concrete. Scary to use on a brand new hearth, but might work. You might also contact your insurance company - ya never know how helpful folks can be until you ask. Let us know :o)

Reply to
norminn

Yes, you are correct. I write a lot of MSDS's and while liking to fully disclose all chemicals, client will often want to hold composition confidential. Important thing is to disclose toxicity and flammability. I often have to go back to the manufacturer who supplies an MSDS like this to get further regulatory information. For example, a client wants to market his US material in Europe. I'm working on one now with a European associate and it's been 4 months gathering suppliers' information. The Goo Gone MSDS satisfies OSHA and EPA regulations but information is minimal.

Problem here is that while adequate clean up information is given, product has soaked into a porous surface most likely causing stain by small amount of coloring in product.

Reply to
Frank

My granite counter has one stain. For some reason the previous owner would sit dish detergent bottles next to the sink. Never cleaned or rinsed the bottles off or sat them on the sink edge. Try as we may, the stain is still visible. We have lightened it a bit, but never get it out.

The rest of the house was a perfect deal!

Reply to
Oren

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Lighter Fluid (Ronsonol-type, not charcoal grill type) and WD-40 are both great for removing adhesives from just about any surface.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Whatever happened to WD 1 - 39?

Reply to
joevan

WD 1 - 39 were the "failed" attempts by the lab at the Rocket Chemical Company to create the "perfect" water displacement (WD) formula.

I kid you not...

DerbyDad03

Reply to
joevan

I just read the history of WD-40 and I noticed that they say "In 2009, WD-40 Company introduced WD-40 Trigger Pro =96 a non-aerosol product with the same WD-40 formula"

However, I've been buying this:

and putting it in these for years:

That's means they've had a "a non-aerosol product with the same WD-40 formula" available long before 2009, you just had to fill your own WD-40 spray bottles.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Im pretty sure they had them earlier. I remember my dad buying pump sprayers of WD40 from the traveling parts supplier when we had a service station.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE