a resonating noise like low bass at home

Hi all,

I have a problem at our new home. It is a starnge issue and I need some suggestion first to identify it and then to solve it.

First of all, it is a brand new home and we lived in it for like 2 months. Second, we are leaving in a pretty quiet neighborhood.

My problem is a with a noise that I hear quite all the time but particularly in the night when we go to bed and when there is practically no other noise or voice around. It is a low bass kind of noise, as if somebody is playing music with a lot of bass far far away and only bass is reaching to my room. I can hear it whereever I go at home. I believe the noise resonates between the walls and gets amplified. I could not find any source for such a noise but it is there constantly. If I can listen to it carefully isolating any other noise around, I can hear it during the day as well.

I also recognized that when TV is I can feel the bass in my study room. Looks like it travels pretty good in the house.

We are locating in Texas and I suspect if there is a drilling somewhere near but I don;t know.

Anyway, can please someone suggest me how to deal with this issue and solve it. I am sure I am not the first person ever having such an issue at his home. Any commnet is welcome even if it sounds stupid :)

Thanks,

Ceyhun

Reply to
archilles

Well, it could be loud music although that isn't often a problem 24/7. But I wouldn't completely rule it out.

Is this a noise you can "hear" or a vibration you can "feel"?

I imagine your local City Hall and/or County Offices could help answer that question.

It's possible that some equipment within your own premises is causing the problem -- a fridge, sump pump, fan or whatever. I would try turning everything off. I do mean everything (i.e. from the main breaker at the meter).

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

I don't think it is music because it is there about 24/7.

It is something I hear. I believe there is some vibration included but intenisity is very low thus pretty unrecognizable. It is more like feeling the pressure of sound.

I asked my neighbor, he said he has not recognized such a noise so far.

I think that's something I should do. Appliances I have are pretty new, thus I would not expect them to make noise, but you never now.

Reply to
archilles

Then I think it's more likely (not certain) the source is relatively close.

Yes and since you're new to the house, it could even be some gadget you didn't know was there like a sump pump or attic fan. These things don't normally run continuously but they could have been incorrectly installed, inadvertently left in test mode or whatever.

So do try disconnecting ALL power.

If the sound stops, it shouldn't take long to track down the precise source.

Let's hope that it does originate on your property. That should make it much easier to find and resolve.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Any electrical transformers on power poles nearby? Any factories nearby? I lived in a house where I could hear a low-pitch machine noise when I put my head on the pillow. Never tried listening at the floor :o) There were two factories within 1-2 miles that had huge machines, so I supposed that was what I heard. Not audible just walking around.

If you have more acute than average hearing, you could be hearing something further away. I was watching TV with my husband long ago, kept hearing a soft sound from the kitchen. He didn't hear it. Living room was off the kitchen, and I finally went to the kitchen to take a look. A butter wrapper had fallen out of the trash, was covered with ants. I got out the bug spray, sprayed the ants, sound stopped. Guess they were chewing the paper. Wierd!

Reply to
Norminn

Bad news guys. I switched the main circuit breaker off. The noise is still there. So, it is not related to any fan, appliance or powered stuff at my home.

Let me try to describe you the noise more. It is something like you hear when you blow a bottle or pipe (like kids do). I don't know maybe something like a horn, but hoarse and low, you feel the bass or pressure. It seems to be continuous or have long period. I believe there is a point where it makes peak, but not that significant (I am listening to it now while I type).

So, all circuit breaks were off and the noise was still the same, i.e. did not change a bit. So it is definitely not coming from an electric motor or appliance in house. Probably the source is not in the house. But where and what could it be?

I still think if it is a drilling related noise. But I don't know if they drill 24/7. I don't know if there is a factory or something close by. However if there is, I would expect my neighbors to have recognized something.

Reply to
archilles

Call your city public works department .. mebbe a water or sewer line? Our sewer line has pumps somewhere nearby, but never heard a sound from them. Some folks have much more acute senses that others, so what you hear would not always be heard by others. Street lights also make noise.

Reply to
Norminn

Hi Malcom,

I think I know that it is because I have this problem as well. Low base sound round about 60 Hz or there abouts. You have a new house, in that it is new construction. You hear it mostly at night when the house is quiet. You hear it in the walls.

I think it is a Re-Circulation pump for hot water. Some new houses like mine, and maybe yours have a small pump to re-circulate the hot water. Especially if you have a bathroom a long way rom your boiler. The pump is usually located in the basement near your hot water heater / water tank. Look for something about the size of your fist. If the pump is held in place just by the in and out water pipes it can resonate / hum / vibrate. The hot water pipes are usually anchored on to your floor joists or studs by clips. These joists then transmit the noise to your sheet rock or more likely your floor boards. Hence you have a large area that acts as a sort of sound board.

To check it this is the issue of a Re-Cirulation pump. Look for the re- cirulation pump on your house breaker panel, switch it to turn your pump off. Check for the noise? If this is the issue, the cure will be to change the resonating frequence of your pump / pipes. Your could try adding some weights / damping foam etc. Note do it gently because youdo not want to stress the pipes too much. Also a small weight change is usually sifficient to move the vibration reconation frequency such that the system will no longer hum.

Best, Mike.

Reply to
sacstinkytiger

it is probably a transformer for low voltage lighting making that noise. I see and hear it all the time. or may be a ballast from a fluorescent fixture. sometimes it can be a dimmer switch that is over loaded with too many fixtures. are any switches hot to the touch?

Reply to
3G

Pay attention! The OP shut off the main circuit breaker and the noise still exists. No more electrical theories allowed.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

More questions:

1) Does the sound vary in any way depending on whether you're in the basement or upstairs?

2) Does your neighborhood get very quiet in the early morning hours? If YES, how about planting yourself in a chair outside and seeing if the sound is out there, too?

3) How old are you? (This is a real question with a real reason for existing).
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Perhaps a utility transformer outside of your house?

Reply to
John Grabowski

Mine is a one story house. All I can tell is I feel it pretty much all around in the house.

It is usually quite particulalry in the night and mornings. Yesterday when this noise was resonating in my house I stepped out and for the first time felt it outside as well. Also yesterday, I felt like it became more at around midnight while it was much less earlier.

in early 30's.

Reply to
archilles

My concern is if my house could be picking up an outside noise and amplifing it between walls and behaves like a huge speaker while the others nearby don't.

Reply to
archilles

clipped

Good question .. also, does, or did, the OP work in a noisy environment? Noise, from machines or loud music, can cause nerve damage. Most often, if from nerve damage, it will be high pitch but not always. There is also a condition called "hyperacusis", where people have such acute hearing that normal sounds are uncomfortable.

Reply to
Norminn

Didn't do anything. Now they knew what the noise was, they were OK with that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think you need... maps.

Look at any existing maps of your immediate vicinity including available satelite images -- e.g.:

Looks for power lines, other plant, industrial installations. Ask at City Hall.

I'd try walking around your house at night, in circles of increasingly large diameter. Maybe use a bicycle as the distances increase. Plot the points at which the noise seems louder (or softer). Cup you hands around your ears and see if you can get a feel for the direction of the noise.

Do all of thise slowly, carefully and systematically. Think hard about what you can learn from your observations. Your perseverance will likely reward you in the end.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

What a bizarre coincidence. I posted the same problem just before reading your post. Please see "Something in our plumbing "hums".

Reply to
Ike

"archilles" wrote in news:1173937616.307669.57580 @y66g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Now that you've eliminated electrical sources, attack the plumbing. Turn off your water at the main valve by the street. Open, then close, a valve to relieve static pressure. Wait for water pressure to equalize, maybe 10 minutes to be sure. Listen.

Yes, drilling goes on 24/7. At costs of tens of thousands of dollars per hour, they stop for nothing.

Reply to
Steve

| > it is probably a transformer for low voltage lighting making that noise. | > I see and hear it all the time. | > or may be a ballast from a fluorescent fixture. | > sometimes it can be a dimmer switch that is over loaded with too many | > fixtures. | > are any switches hot to the touch? | | | Pay attention!

yes sir or madam

The OP shut off the main circuit breaker and the noise still | exists.

must be plumbing related then like water hammering its not rocket science all these theries for the obvious.................sheesh.

No more electrical theories allowed.

if you say so............I guess. thanks for the scolding......................josie.

Reply to
3G