Fireplace and tiles

Hi all,

We currently have a fireplace that's basically an empty box - someone in the past removed any fireback or fireplace that existed in our

1930's ex-council semi, and just left the bricks. There's a log-basket for putting burning stuff in, and a combination of cracked tiles and concrete as the hearth.

As we don't really want to have to put a new fireplace in, we're thinking of putting a lump of metal as a fireback (just leant against the bricks at the back) and tiling the hearth (inside the fireplace and a bit sticking out) somehow to make it look tidier.

Anyone have any recommendations as to what to use for the fireback? We've tried getting hold of an old cast-iron draincover but none of the scrappies round here seem to have them.

Also, if I want to put slate or stone tiles down, should I bed them on cement, or use some kind of magic fireproof tile glue, and what would we grout them with?

Any advice gratefully received.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie