bog-standard paving stones for a hearth?

Hi,

I actually think bog-standard paving stones would look nice for a hearth.

Is there any reason not to use them? I was thinking of using fireproof screed under the grate and then coming out from the grate in a semicircle (well, a polygonal approximation) and using paving stones, fixed with a suitable adhesive, for the rest of the hearth. Would that be OK?

My tile-cutter is supposed to cut up to a thickness of 38mm. I've used it on brick slips 22mm thick and it's done a good job. There are paving stones available that are 24mm, 28mm and 32mm, so I am hoping the cutter will cut them too, maybe if I take the precaution of putting in a new grinding disc. Advice would be welcome.

(I realise that any salesman at a shop that sells both paving stones and fireplaces is likely to try to flog me an expensive everything-included fireplace and suck his teeth when I talk about making a hearth out of paving stones, but I'm aware that most kitchen tiles are fine for fireplaces even if they're not sold as such, and I've also installed the fireback and tiled the chimney breast myself and would like to make the hearth too.)

Thanks in advance!

Harry

Reply to
Harold Davis

Yes - I see no reason why not.

Use ordinary cement based tile adhesive of the stones are honed on the bottom (ie flat).

I have slate tiles under my stove which gets damn hot and no issues - those were fixed with ordinary tile adhesive onto sand/cement screed.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I suspect they might be quite susceptable to stains, particularly if anything greasy/oily gets spilled on them.

Building regs include minimum dimensions for hearths (things like must be 1" or 2" above floor level (I forget which now). You probably want to check that out whilst designing it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel