Constructional Hearth

I'm new to DIY. I have removed an old surround and the fireback etc to open up the fireplace to fit a stove. The only problem is that the constructional hearth is crumbling and is in a state of poor repair generally. I think it is probably better to replace it. How do I go about it?

Reply to
Griffo

Hard to say with information given. Usually jack hammer the beast out and replace. Is it cement, tile, marble etc...

Reply to
Newfie

There is no decorative hearth in place. The constructional hearth is made out of a strange mixture. The top layer was cement. Below that was what appeared to be a very sandy cement. Below that there just appears to be rubble. I keep digging down and am now about 6 inches below the floor - there is no solid base. Amongst the rubble I am finding things like old floor nails, old bits of metal etc. The brick fireplace rests on a cement base. I am beginning to think that the crawl space in front of the hearth has been filled up with rubble and cemented over. Is that likely?

Reply to
Griffo