Constructional Hearth

I'm recreating the original constructional hearth ready for new fireplace and hearth. The last brick course of the CH is a joist depth below floor height. I intend to form the dims of the new superimposed hearth (smaller than CH) and ballast and concrete to floor level (or how much below?)

How thick should the concrete be? Don't want to make thicker than it need be

1" or 2"?

Any other advice?

TIA

Reply to
VisionSet

And while I'm about it, how do I get the gas from under the (suspended) floor to the back of the hearth for an inset living flame whilst keeping it hidden from view? Knock a brick corner of the side of the builders opening or fabricate a void in the constructional hearth when I pour the concrete?

And is this to be copper or is it common to do some flexi something?

Yes Corgi registered fitter will do final connection.

TIA

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

I'm new to DIY. I have removed an old surround and the fireback etc to open up the fireplace to fit a stove. The only problem is that the constructional hearth is crumbling and is in a state of poor repair generally. I think it is probably better to replace it. How do I go about it?

Reply to
Griffo