Fire surround value?

Got a large marble fire surround in our new house that looks like its come from a house clearance and been unceremoniuosly stuck on the chimeny breast where is looks totally out of place, doest even fit the breast properly, far too big and dark for the room. Needless to say we are thinking of getting rid. The other day we had a visitor who's quite in the know who said its probably worth at least =A32000. Now the getting rid option seems slightly more appealing.

Are there any websites for dating / identifying styles of fire surrounds or someone I could send pictures to to get an estimated value??

Reply to
kev208

wrote: Got a large marble fire surround in our new house that looks like its come from a house clearance and been unceremoniuosly stuck on the chimeny breast where is looks totally out of place, doest even fit the breast properly, far too big and dark for the room. Needless to say we are thinking of getting rid. The other day we had a visitor who's quite in the know who said its probably worth at least £2000. Now the getting rid option seems slightly more appealing.

Are there any websites for dating / identifying styles of fire surrounds or someone I could send pictures to to get an estimated value??

---------------------------

You could try the antiques newsgroups, a Google for marble fire surround dealers, and a search on eBay. You could take some photos to a building reclamation firm (your Yellow pages should list a few) but say you are looking to buy something similar because the sell-to-the-dealer price will be a lot different. Local auction firms are also worth trying - they may be willing to visit and give you an idea of the value for auction, or look at your photos. You might get a good price if you can find a private buyer, or sell it at auction, but if you have to sell to the trade then it's the dealer who gets the good price. I hope your visitor was right. In my experience these impromptu valuations are very optimistic.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

So if he/she thought it worth 2k I'm wondering why they didn't offer 1k and cop for 2k? :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Same here. I think it is just another way of paying a compliment. I would rather have the money!

Phil

----

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Ebay the thing.

I did this with a fairly naff Victorian cast iron surround.

In reality, a couple of thousand is what it costs in a showroom, all cleaned up and sold to a mad ditzhead in Chelsea. Covered in cement dust and in a semi in Hartlepool. You might get a hundred or it..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Good marble fireplaces have been going on ebay recently for anything from =A3100 to =A3500 depending on size, condition, quality, I have not seen any slate or marble victorian fireplaces fetching more than =A3750

Reply to
nigmyk

"nigmyk" wrote: Good marble fireplaces have been going on ebay recently for anything from £100 to £500 depending on size, condition, quality, I have not seen any slate or marble victorian fireplaces fetching more than £750

Agree. The sort of late 1800s to early 1900s marble fire surrounds that were often installed in 'ordinary' semi and detached homes are unlikely to fetch more than 800 GPS providing they are attractive and in very good condition, and a dealer would probably offer around 100 GBS. I have got an original fine black marble specimen in my living room, but would never sell it.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Done a little research and its a late victorian rouge marble surround. it doest fit the house at all and is quite obviously from somewhere much bigger.

it's in really good condition with no cracks etc. did a quick google for similar things. nearest I could find which actually looks quite close is going for =A33,800 on an antiques website. as you say though, this was cleaned up and restored - and removed from the wall!

dont want to get rid of it but if you saw it and the room its in you'd understand why we are considering it.

Reply to
kev208