Best Silicone Rubber For Bathtub To Surround

I have removed all the old silicone rubber amd everything is scrubbed clean. Which brand of silicone rubber is best for tub to surround sealing and no mildew??

Reply to
hrhofmann

Either GE or DAP "no mildew" type will work

I've had problems in the past and it seemed to do with me not removing every last trace of the old stuff. A razor knife helped a lot.

Reply to
philo

Some years ago, I found that dap is crap, and dow is wow.

I'd not recommend Dap crap.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've had trouble with that, but I saw recommended, maybe here, a product that is supposed to be very stretchable -- the online video shows that it's stretchy --, so that it doesn't let go when the tub is filled with water, versus when it's empty. I haven't used it yet because I have to remove all the hold stuff too. It comes in white and clear,and I think other related products not so sutiable for the tub come in black and one other color.

I bought a caulking gun sized tube, only 2 or 3 dollars more than similar products but it's not handy right now.

L or EL is a big part of the name .

If you want to know the actual name, post back and I'll go look for it.

They don't have it at Home Depot, but Ace hardware does, though the first two Ace stores didn't have white on the shelf.

Googling on stretchable caulking found Big Stretch, but that's not it. Ah, but it's made by the same company.

Lexel is what was recorommended,

Comes in a tube for a caulking gun, or a smaller tube.

Big Stretch® 100% acrylic latex elastomeric caulk versus

Lexel® synthetic rubber elastomeric sealant is the superior alternative to silicone caulk in clarity, adhesion, elasticity and paintability.

Let us know how well it works. I can still return my tube if it's not so good.

Elastomeric with power adhesion ? stretches but won?t tear, crack or pull away and will not rip apart the substrate when joints expand Sticks to wet surfaces Ultra clear sealant ? 19 times clearer than silicone, won?t yellow and won?t cloud Can be applied to joints up to 2? wide Paintable Cured sealant is mildew resistant Won?t freeze ? OK to leave in your truck overnight

Lexel® is the ?duct tape? of all caulks. Super-elastic. Superior adhesion. Paintable. It seals around anything: tubs and shower stalls, sinks and counter tops, window frames and door frames, PVC and metal pipes. Apply to wet or dry surfaces, indoors and outdoors. It?s tough and can handle up to 400% joint movement. It?s scrubbable. It sticks to just about anything. Lexel clear caulk is 19 times clearer than silicone and won?t yellow or cloud up over time. Lexel won?t let you down.

Lexel® is excellent for use in a variety of areas and sticks to almost anything

This includes:

Kitchen & bathroom fixtures Countertops & backsplashes Wallpaper (helps prevent curling) Around trim Around windows & doors Thresholds Sills Siding Vents Pipes & air conditioners Around ductwork & HVAC Wood & moulding/trim Masonry

Adheres to a variety of surfaces, including:

Metals ? Aluminum ? Brass ? Steel ? Anodized Windows

Plastics ? ABS ? Nylon ? PVC ? Acrylic Sheet ? Plexiglass ? Urethane ? Fiberglass ? Polycarbonate ? Vinyl ? Lexan® ? Polystyrene

Other Surfaces ? Asphalt ? Stone ? Brick ? Fiber Cement ? Stucco ? Cinder Block ? Formica® ? Tile ? Concrete ? Glass ? Wood ? Corian® ? Porcelain ? Drywall ? Mortar

Don?t see your surface listed? Contact Customer Service.

Where not to use:

On polystyrene insulation Where temperatures exceed 200°F In containment applications Will not adhere to or is incompatible with Aquaseal®, cultured marble, Kynar®, polypropylene, polystyrene foam insulation, polyethylene, rubber, silicone, Styrofoam® (it dissolves it), Teflon®, vulcanized rubber, and waxes

Please note:

Plastics not listed should be tested for compatibility before use Contact Customer Service when using in submersion applications

BTW, I've heard that when caulking a bathtub it should be halfway full of water, so it only has to stretch or compress (can it compress?) half as much. Even though the water would be a big nuisance, I was going to do that before I found this stuff, which seems to say it's not needed with this stuff.

Reply to
micky

I like Phenoseal and avoid silicone. I find silicone seems to support mildew more. It's also a pain to clean. But I think you're going to find that there are lots of different opinions on this.

Reply to
Mayayana

I usually use a degreaser, and one that leaves no grease. Some leave an oily film.

409,fantastic, greased lightning, work ok.

It even sticks to old silicone if cleaned.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I ended up buying an ACE Hardware branded silicone rubber sealer for tub an d tile with mildew resistance, they had it in a "bone" color that should go well with the tub and the surround, and it says "50-year durability". Not sure what that means exactly, especially since my wife and I rarely scrub our showers.

Reply to
hrhofmann