Hearth tiles

Hi all,

I have a 1930's council house with a hearth that has had most of the old fireplace removed, so it's basically just a brick-lined hole.

We're putting up a new fire surround, but my question is about the tiles in the hearth. They appear to be the original tiles, made of ceramic, but they're rather worn and a few have chips and holes.

Digging them out is going to be a right pain as they're bedded in concrete; thus I'm thinking we could repair them with some kind of filler and then paint them. Does anyone have any idea what we could use to fill them?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

You _might_ find a commercial two-pack filler for sale for doing this. They used to be around, but they're pretty rare now.

The other alternative is a good epoxy (non-yellowing with age and heat) and a mineral dust filler. I'd use West System's. When you put it in place, tape a piece of Mylar (polyester) tightly across the surface and this will give a glossy surface without polishing.

White tiles are fairly easy, terracotta not too bad, but '30s off-pink are a bit of a nightmare.

Reply to
dingbat

Car body filler?

Reply to
Rob Morley

I'm not so bothered about the colour as I'll be painting the tiles afterwards anyway. Thanks for the advice on Mylar though, that's a good idea.

Charlie

Why not just tile over them? Tiles for this sort of area won't cost much, and you might find some end of range even cheaper. Solid marble ones can look really good for a hearth.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah yes - but the existing tiles are sunk into the floor, and there's a matching fireplace at the other end of the room (with a plain concrete hearth) which I can't tile over due conflicts with table legs! I'm hoping to paint the concrete hearth the same colour at least, even possibly with some faked up squares to look like tiles.

Charlie

Ok - but painted tiles are likely to look naff in the extreme.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tile over it, and use furniture cups to make up the difference on the legs which aren't the tiled area, so the table doesn't wobble.

Or if you're sure you won't want to move the table, saw a bit off the legs that are on the tiled area!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I believe the correct method is to use a cardboard beer mat, folded until it's thick enough to stop the wobble.

Reply to
Rob Morley

All the suggestions havesounded naff.

I know from sad experience that the only solution is to replace the tiles - it's a day's job but worth while in the long run.

Or simply don't have a tiled hearth at all. I don't know why we have them unless we have fires which produce ash which needs sweeping and the surrounding floor protecting from their direct heat. If we have those none of the solutions will be serviceable.

For many years we had a wool carpet which went right up to the gas fire in our sitting room. Now we have encaustic tileswhich are laid simply becauseI was given them by the maker and they're beautiful. They're not necessary.

Modern hearths area waste of floor space.

Originally hearths had tiles laid on edge to withstand the heat of the fire - which burnt in direct contact with the hearth..

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Used to be a half crown.

Ah, those were the days!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If you put the half crown under the table leg how did you pay for the beer? Or did you save it for the fish supper?

Reply to
Rob Morley

How did you fold that then?

Reply to
Richard Conway

We were tough in those days.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Do tiles for a hearth need to be of a special kind? Are there any materials that can be assumed to be suitable?

Thanks,

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida