OT Use Auto Battery Charger To Save Memory on New Battery Install

I need to replace my car's battery.

And rather than lose all the system settings, I was thinking of connecting my Schumacher SC-600A to the car's battery leads before removing the old battery to keep power to the electronics.

One problem is the charger owner's manual says if it doesn't detect a properly connected battery, it won't put out any juice.

So I'm thinking the Schumacher won't work. And I'll need to pop for one of those gadgets that hook a 9 volt battery to the car's electrical system.

Any other suggestions?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Jumper cables? Can you use them to keep one of the batteries connected all the time during the switchover.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Correct. The charger will not work. Even if it could turn on, the output would not be pure DC.

A nine volt battery will not likely work but eight, 1.5v carbon batteries in series should do the job.

Reply to
philo

Charger or battery from some hand held tool like a drill?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I've heard of using these things:

Frank

Buy a memory save and plug it into the lighter socket. That is what battery shops use.

Alternative is to buy the battery from a store that install them for free.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

But then he'll have to buy a whole other car.

And cables.

I made one of those gadgets he refers to but I don't think I ever remembered to use it. It's easy enough to reset the radio, and the engine settings must not be that much different on my last 2 cars because it didn't seem to run differently after the battery was disconnected.

But this was a 2005, 2000, or 95. Newer cars might have more settings.

But I think 9 volts is probably enough to last for 10 or 15 minutes.

This one gets 4.1 rating on 132 reviews. That's pretty high.

You can look at other 9 volt devices. The ratings for any of them apply to all of them.

Important note in one rreview: This product worked great but it is important to note that many newer cars don't supply power to the 12V outlet unless the car is in accessory mode. To do so, turn the key until only the radio turns on. Then, while leaving the key turned, turn the radio off (using the power button on the radio). Also turn off all headlights, dome lights, etc... You don't want any of these things taking power away from the ECM and radio preset memory.

If you aren't sure if your car has this issue, try plugging in something like a phone charger and see if it supplies power to the phone while the key is off.

2) You can also use a trickle charger that's older than new. I have a one-amp one I got from my cousin in 1965, and it has no idea if the engine is on or not. I have another much bigger one I found on the sidewalk (far from any home or business***) in 1975** and it doesn't know either. Anything more than 20 years old probably doesn't.

**That one was broken and I deducedd in needed new selenium rectifiers. Looked all over NYC for big ones like it had and got nowhere. Meantime it sat in the closet After 7 years I took it out and it worked fine!, for another 25 years. This time I think I just used diodes to replace the selenium.

***Maybe someone was stealing it and it got too heavy? Or it didnt' work and the owner gave up on it before getting on the bus.

3) I always go for the cheapest method but there are also now battery-jumper batteries the size of deck of cards or a little bigger. $40 or more but it would have other immportant uses too. Some will power your phone if it's dead. Some will massage your feet if you're tired.

Reply to
micky

Simple. Booster cables and another battery - and for crying out loud BE CAREFULL!!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

As long as the only load is the computers a 9 volt battery WILL work. There are tools made to do just that. A booster pack is a lot more usefull though - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Nope, just borrow one for the battery change.

Yeah, particularly the seat setting etc.

But may not be enough to keep the settings.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I actually bought a new battery at autozone a few months ago and they did nothing to save my settings.

Maybe if ou ask in advance they'll find their gizmo and use it. \

Reply to
micky

Yeah. I guess the current drain would be tiny.

I was out of the country for a few months and when I returned the car started with no problem.

Reply to
philo