Battery Charger question

I have a "Husky" battery charger (model HSK074HD if it matters)

12 volt 2/10 ampere with 55/ampere start assist

It was bought at a big box store, can't remember if Lowes or HD

I used it on my lawn mower only ... it lasted long enough to be out of warrenty then stopped working !

It had lights that came on, a meter needle that moved, and produced a hum with a slight vibration ... those were happy times

then

while attached to the battery it just stopped. None of the signs of life anymore. It has not worked since.

It's still under 1 yr warrenty but ... the cost of S&H would prolly buy me another chager ..

Any ideas?

Is there a fuse inside? I'm guessing not cuz it doesn't seem to meant to be taken apart, but what else?

It's never been dropped or abused.

It was used 5 or 6 times on a battery that could only be started after being charged. If the engine died in the yard for whatever reason I had to hook the charger up.

I'd be happy with any explaination even if it isn't something I can't use to fix it. I have horrible luck with these things, this is easily the fourth battery charger since last year. Two simply didn't work at all so switched stores and brands. The third worked a couple times, stopped, brought it back, this one is it's replacement, worked long enough to get out of store warrenty.

Anyway Thanks!

Reply to
Sniffer

Pardon my chuckle - but you must be a battery chargers worst nightmare. Most of these things have some kind of internal "circuit breaker" that is supposed to reset itself. You say it isn't meant to be taken apart - mine are all older and they can all be taken apart. I have a couple that only work on one setting - never tried to figure out why since I got them 2nd hand at yard sales. Since I have 6, 8, and 12 volt batteries, both small and large, I need a variety of settings. I think the only think I ever replaced on any battery charger was a toggle switch - and for some reason I never put the cover back on. Worked that way for years. Anyway, what are your options ? Make sure the plug is making contact - jiggle the switch - make sure the wire isn't pulled loose at the clips - or maybe slap it a couple times to see if a "circuit breaker" resets. You could try their "tech support" number.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Husky is the HD brand name made by Vector Tools.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Your battery is bad. Replace the battery and put the charger away.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

of course the battery is bad that's why one buys a battery charger

btw I have bought a new battery

the battery charger still does not work

Reply to
Sniffer

"of course the battery is bad that's why one buys a battery charger "

That's a new one. A battery charger is useful for charging a good battery that has become discharged for some reason, like leaving a light on. It's not the solution for a bad battery.

Reply to
trader4

ya, whatever.

thanks for correcting my technical misuse of "bad."

despite the error I am not so stupid as not to know the battery charger does NOT work.

care to address that ?

Reply to
Sniffer

Fix the real problem instead of treating the symptoms and you won't need a battery charger.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

I did and I still have a battery charger that doesn't work Got it ??? Now say something constructive or stfu.

Reply to
Sniffer

"I did and I still have a battery charger that doesn't work Got it ???

Now say something constructive or stfu."

What do you expect? Someone to fix it for you over the internet? You said it's under warranty, but you don't want to pay to ship it back. And you say it doesn't look like it's meant to be taken apart. So, what's left? If you don't want to send it back and you don't know enough about electronics to feel comfortable opening it up and seeing if there is anything repairable, then chuck it in the trash.

Reply to
trader4

no, I want someone to give me something to look for, a possibility, I'll fix the thing. I know enough to know a battery charger circuit isn't THAT friggin complicated, how many things CAN go wrong? If you have a clue tell me, it can't take more effort than what you typed instead.

I'm sure I could buy a NEW one for the price of S&H, so what's the point?

It doesn't look like it's meant to be taken apart. That could stand as is, though, in context I was musing about the possibility of there being a fuse. Didn't say it COULDN'T or that I WOULDN'T (afterall what does it matter it's a big paper weight at the moment.)

First half right, second half wrong. If I knew much about electronics I wouldn't need to ask. I'd check the output of every capacitor and jiggalator ... I am competent enough to change a fuse, press an internal reset button, fix a broken connection, and possibly some other problem associated with battery chargers that I have no idea about but is common knowledge to others.

NEVER said I wasn't comfortable opening it up ... :) is there any chance you read my original post at all ?

That IS what I'm asking ! Is there anything repairable ?

If I open it, then what? Is there a fuse, is there a reset button, is there something else to look for?

Just thought I'd ask if there was a reason for it, whether I could fix it or not, I'd like to know what could possibly give such a bad run of luck. I can't believe four out of four battery chargers go bad for everyone.

So far from you and Oscar I have ... put it away (apparently there is NEVER a need for a charger) and chuck it in the trash.

Since it's unlikely anyone else will respond and you and Oscar totally worthless I'm not losing much to say you are as clueless as you think I am.

Oscar is just a head case. I though I was a black and white kind of guy but WOW. Reading his past posts his solution to a neighbors dog crapping in your yard is feed him bacon soaked sponges and watch them convulse, starve to death, or whatever would happen. Haha I can't believe it would be to quick or painless. I thought my solution was black and white enough but now believe capturing the dog and bringing it to the spca in another town is rather lite gray.

Anyway you just don't do that to dogs... cat's maybe ... but with cats giving them acetaminophen allows them to wonder off to sleep and never wake up, one caplet per 8 lbs., look it up on the web. My neighbor rid himself of a 40+ barn cat infestation that way, wifey thought it was wild dogs dragging them off.

Always happy to share useful cat tips but I digress. Oscar's answer to life is kill it, or buy a new one. There never can be a gray area like try to fix it first.

haha mannnnn... been a hoot

Reply to
Sniffer

What do you expect? Someone to fix it for you over the internet? You no, I want someone to give me something to look for, a possibility, I'll fix the thing. I know enough to know a battery charger circuit isn't THAT friggin complicated, how many things CAN go wrong? If you have a clue tell me, it can't take more effort than what you typed instead.

[...]

Have a couple more beers and get back to us in the morning!

Reply to
trader4

my charger quit yesterday and a wire had come off inside.

Reply to
ds549

You could always take it back to the store you got it from. Lowes an

Home Depot always take things back. Even better you have a warrenty You keep the reciept? I have a question of my own. I have the sam model and brand charger. How do I know if it's doing anything? I hea The faint humming sound, I am using it at 2amp to charge my lawn mowe battery. The needle hasn't moved. How will I know when my battery i just no good? How much Liquid is supposed to be in side each slot, an what is the liquid, water

-- easyray2

this thread:

easyray29