Pop-up bathroom sink waste not fully closing

Hi,

I have one of those pop up wastes operated by a push rod behind the water mixer. Recently, the rod keeps dropping down when I'm trying to close the waste, forcing the waste to pop up. Even with water in the sink, there isn't enough weight to close the waste "plunger". I'm not sure, but when I operated this push-rod in the past there was some slight friction and the rod stayed in the "up" position when I wanted to close the waste and keep water in the sink. Now the rod just slides down, pushing the waste up. I have tried adusting the amount of push-rod that shows behind the mixer but this has no effect, the rod slides down under its own weight, the waste opens, the water leaves the sink.

Is this a typical problem for this design? Is there a fix?

Thanks,

Clive

Happy New Year.

The truth is out there, somewhere.

It will all be fine, trust me, I'm a proctologist

Reply to
clive.r.long

Yep. That looks like the problem. I put my hand around the back of the waste. It feels slightly damp in that nut that holds in the "ball" and there is what I can only describe as "black grit" around the nut. I can't screw or unscrew it. I'll dismantle it at the weekend, clean it all up and look for replacement bits. Stop laughing at the back of the room. Like a lot of things I had done by a "professional" loooks like a bodge install.

Ta,

Clive

Reply to
clive.r.long

<< snip >>

God, I love this newsgroup.

Reply to
clive.r.long

Try increasing tension (& therefore friction) on the knurled nut that holds the plastic/rubber seal where the horizontal shaft disappears into the waste.

Is it damp in the ?cupboard underneath? Perished seals/ worn bits at that location can let drips or worse out.

Reply to
Jim K..

New innards are easily got (once identified) on eBay C £7 posted. Just use the bits you need to rebuild yours.

Reply to
Jim K..