Pop up waste

My bathroom was recently refitted and the basin has a popup waste. The tap

- with aeriator pours down onto the dome of the waste.

I often find the basin behaves as though the waste is bloched - but it isn't.

I am wondering if the aeriator drives air into the waste and causes an airlock. If I unscrew the "plug" there is never a problem. Sometimes the basin almost gets to the overflow before it starts to drain.

Anyone else experienced this? The popup only gives a relatively small clearance when up.

Reply to
JohnP

I always disconnect pop-up wastes from their operating pins and sit them

- suitably adjusted for length - on top of their pins so that they can be lifted right out. They work much better that way. It's then easier to adjust them for maximum travel, to give more clearance generally - with the option of lifting them out completely if the water still doesn't go down fast enough.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You can only do that with lever operated pop-up wastes. In the sprung type in my sink there?s no ?pop up height? adjustment.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Kind of makes you wonder why they do not just design them with more travel in the first place. I'd have thought, though, that the overflow should clear any air lock in the system as hopefully it joins the waste pipe just below the mechanism.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:rpvlm9$kc1$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Very true about the overflow - perhaps air locking at a high point after the trap before it goes out through the wall.

Reply to
JohnP

Ours does that. I reduced the flow to the tap which helps a bit.

Reply to
Richard

so does mine

it seems to be very susceptible to a tiny build up of nasty looking stuff that sticks to it, and needs cleaning all too frequently to stop it blocking the flow.

Reply to
tim...

and means waiting 6 times as long for the warm water to pull through

Reply to
tim...

"tim..." snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:rq0anm$lg6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Mine is spotless as I often remove.

Reply to
JohnP

Mine works faultlessly and has done for decades. Even the chain is stainless steel. Use it when needed and put it out of the way when not.

Reply to
PeterC

Well, that's a load of bollocks.

Reply to
Richard

I'll time it tomorrow and come back to you

Reply to
tim...