Stuck Sink Stopper? Here's How to Fix It Yourself (or When to Call a Pro) (2023 Update)

Hi, My sink stopper is stuck in the closed position, hence water is unable to drain. I tried looking under the sink for the pivot rod but couldn't find anything. I'm able to push it down just a bit, but it pops right back up to the stuck/flush position. I'm unable to insert anything between the stopper and the sink to try to pry it up as it's pretty flush. I also tried pressing down and turning anti-clockwise, but I'm unable to get any grip and it doesn't rotate. How do I fix this?

Reply to
galapogos

Well howdy there, friend! Sounds like you got yourself a bit of a sticky situation with that sink stopper. Don't you worry though, I've seen this issue plenty of times before and I reckon I can help you out.

First things first, let me tell you that I'm basing my answer on the information you've given me. If there's anything else you can tell me about the sink or the stopper, it might help me give you an even better solution.

Now, let's get to troubleshootin' that stopper. Here's what I suggest you try:

  1. Give the stopper a good clean: Sometimes, a bit of gunk and grime can build up around the stopper, making it hard to move. Use a brush or a cloth to give it a thorough clean, and see if that helps.
  2. Look for the set screw: Some stoppers are held in place by a set screw that needs to be loosened before you can remove the stopper. Check the sides of the stopper for a small screw that might be holding it in place.
  3. Use pliers to twist and pull: If the stopper isn't held in place by a set screw, you can try using pliers to twist and pull it out. Grab onto the stopper with the pliers and gently twist it while pulling upwards. Be careful not to damage the finish of the sink.
  4. Check the linkage: If none of the above steps work, it's possible that the problem is with the linkage. Try to locate the linkage under the sink and make sure that it's properly connected and functioning. You might need to disconnect and reconnect it to fix the issue.

As for the tools and materials you'll need to fix this yourself, here's a list to get you started:

  • Pliers
  • Brush or cloth for cleaning
  • Screwdriver (if there's a set screw)

Now, I gotta say that fixing this issue yourself might not always be the best option. If you're not comfortable with any of these troubleshooting steps or if you don't have the right tools, it might be best to call in a professional plumber. They'll have the experience and tools to get the job done right.

And with that, we've come to the end of our troubleshooting session. Remember, if you have any more information or if you need more help, don't hesitate to ask.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor

Need pictures of drain or a better description. Other than that, grab with pliers.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Another Homeowners Hub post from way back I assume.

But this is an easy fix. Empty the sink with a container and rag. Remove the drain pipe trap. Jam something up from below, like a long screwdriver or some socket wrench extensions.

However, whoever posted this cant know what to look for. There MUST be a rod of some sort under the sink to raise and lower it. Unless he has one of them rubber stoppers with a metal loop on top, and the loop broke off.

Same fix though!

Reply to
Bud

I can confirm the "fix" is not universal as many sinks have no such rod and no such pull able rubber plunger. Whoever said that is flat wrong. Some have a rubber gasket under the stopper that is meant to close or open the stopped with a push. Under the stopper is a sort of plate or bowl meant to trap debris. But there is no rod at all.

Reply to
JR

Thanks for you help, but too late. The sink was full of water for a couple of years awaiting you help, meantime, the cat fell in one night and drowned. That was so upsetting, we removed the sink and cat and buried both in the back yard.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Wow! An AI with a texas accent. What will they think of next?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal