Loose outdoor faucet. How to fix?

I'm back with yet another problem.

I have a crappy house with cardboard (Masonite) siding and plastic pipes.

The outdoor faucet is loose and I'm clueless how to fix it. I don't feel like paying a plumber a week's salary if it's something that I fix myself.

Rather than explaining the situation, here are some photographs that clearly illustrate my problem:

The outside faucet:

(notice the earlier expert repairs)

The pipe inside the crawl space that's directly attached to the outside faucet.

Which connects to this tee:

Is there any way of fixing this CF?

thx

Reply to
John

*Since the pipe is resting right on the sill plate, how about a strap or two right there?
Reply to
John Grabowski

One good thing about plastic pipe is; it is easy to modify, if that is US Brass Quest though parts may be hard to come by, since it was taken off the market. Anyhow if I was faced with that I'd find a way to put some metal into the mix. I would start by screwing the hose bib onto a suitable nipple of iron pipe maybe 6"-8" secure that to the sill plate with a couple of proper size pipe clips (or what ever the U shaped things are called) then plumb it into the existing pipe. You may want to consider a frost free sill c*ck if you live in a frost/freeze area. That isn't as important here, they freeze up a coupe weeks a year, but seldom does it cause damage.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

I would cut a piece of wood, say 4" x 6" of appropriate thickness to fit between the hose bib and the wall. Drill a hole in the center of the wood the size of the outside of the pipe coming out of the hose bib, then cut from the bottom on each side of the hole to the bottom edge of the wood, so that you can slide the wood down over the pipe from above.

Clean up the surface of the wall by shaving away excess caulk and cutting away the wood or whatever that is showing around the pipe, so the wood can be cleanly slid over the pipe. Coat the back of the boad with glue, and glue it in place with a few small nails or screws to hold it in place. Glue the piece you cut out below the hole into the gap at the bottom (glue or caulk). When the glue has cured, screw the hose bib to the wood with an appropriate sized rust resistant screw. Then caulk around the bib pipe and along the top and sides of the wood, and prime and paint the result.

Reply to
Bob F

I would buy two 1x5" mending plates and drill a hole dead center into each. Using a screw and nut that is just long enough to reach through that slot on each side of the faucet attach the plate to the faucet using the hole you drilled.

Then using screws long enough to reach the sill plate behind the siding screw the mending plates to the wall.

The same thing can be done using a square or circle of exterior plywood that is drilled in the middle and cut in half to fit around the pipe. Prime and paint all sides of this before installing. The plywood will look better but the plates will last longer.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Great instructions! I can understand them.

I've got some good plywood, primer, paint and a drill press lying around. That's a project I can take of by myself and save another few hundred dollars.

Thank you!

Reply to
John

I'd take a piece of wood and use a paddle bit or holesaw, make a hole to go around the faucet tube. Rip it length wise. Slip the two pieces on left and right of the faucet. Screw the pieces to the masonite, and the faucet to the pieces.

Left piece a bit like: ______ | | | C |______|

Right piece, miror image.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon