Removing corroded mounting plate for robe hook in tile shower

I have an enameled robe hook that was installed on the tiled wall inside our shower, probably over 15 years ago. It looks like it was never designed for damp/moist applications since the hook fell off the square mounting plate and the plate is so corroded as to be an unrecognizable rusted mass. I can sort of make out where one mounting screw is, but that is about it. I've taken a wire brush to it to try, but that has not yielded anything new in terms of identifying how it is mounted or how I could remove it. It does look like it was screwed on top of the tile, which means that any mounting holes were drilled through the tile and into the wall. I sprayed PB Blaster on the one screw head I can sort of make out, but there is really no head left that I could even use a screwdriver on if it works. Thinking about using some kind of cutoff disc to just slice it off if I can. The plate is about 2" square.

Any thoughts or ideas on how I can get this corroded mess removed with minimal damage? Am I just going to have to remove the surrounding tiles and then replace them>

TIA!

Reply to
dzeleznik

grind the area of the screw, till the bracket comes loose, then you can try vice grips to remove the screw, so you can reuse the same hole.

if all else fails grind off the screw and use a larger bracket .......

use a masonary bit to drill ceramic tile

Reply to
bob haller

Could you use a drill to remove the head of the screw? A punch or a really small drill bit might be a start. Then use a larger bit to actually remove the screw head.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Is it possible the screws actually came from the back side holding the hook to the mounting plate and that the mount was cemented to the tile?

Reply to
Ed60062

Go to Lowes Depot and rent a 5 jigawatt jack hammer. Gently work the bit under the mounting plate while pulsing the trigger. Be sure to wear safety glasses and a hardhat.

Reply to
Kevin O'Cunnilingus

replying to bob haller, dzeleznik wrote: Will try this later today, thanks for the suggestion. I am also going to try and get a putty knife between the plate and the tile. Maybe by agitating it a bit, some of the corroded mess will fall away and I can get a clearer picture of how its mounted and what I am actually looking at.

Reply to
dzeleznik

replying to Dean Hoffman, dzeleznik wrote: Thanks for the suggestion, may give it a try if all else fails. Like I said, I can only make out one screw and I have no clue whether it is an expansion or toggle bolt behind the scenes. There has to be at least one other screw/bolt in this mess somewhere. But maybe if I remove the one, I can free the plate up enough to figure out what else is going on.

Reply to
dzeleznik

replying to Ed60062, dzeleznik wrote: Highly doubt this, the robe hook is the standard kind that slides over a plate that has outwardly angled edges. The hook has a downward facing set screw to hold it in place to the plate. The screws/bolts must be expansion or toggles.

Reply to
dzeleznik

You might try the PB Blaster behind the plate also. It could be rust-stuck to the tile. Using a cut-off disk in a Dremel-like tool would make short work of the screw head. A sanding drum run across the surface might reveal another former screw head.

After letting the PB Blaster work for a while, you might try something like a painter's tool to break the seal with the wall (if rust-stuck). A couple of light taps with a hammer on the end of this as you move it around the perimeter might loosen it up:

The sharp edge might help pop it off.

Good luck! Let us know how you eventually get it off.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

replying to DerbyDad03, dzeleznik wrote: Great suggestion on the painters tool! Most of the corroded metal plate just broke apart and came off with liberal use of one. That coupled with a dremel metal cutoff disc around the screws and everything is removed flush down to the bare tile, which does not look damaged at all. I am going to leave the remnants of the existing bolts in place until I have a new robe hook to mount in its place. It looks like silicone sealant was used around the bolts. If the new mounting hardware can reuse the existing holes, then I will drill them out. Otherwise, I will leave them be, reseal them, and drill new holes for the replacement hardware.

All in all it only took me 15-20 minutes to remove what I thought was an impossible situation. Must say I am pretty pleased with myself and DW is impressed. Now to get the shopvac and cleanup the mess before things turn sour on that front. Thanks everyone that chimed in with great suggestions, much appreciated!

Reply to
dzeleznik

I'm glad it worked out for you.

If you have to drill new holes in the tile, may I suggest that you use a utility knife or other sharp tool to remove the glaze where you want to drill. Once the glaze is removed and you are down to the innards of the tile, the bit will not slide around and it will be easier to get it to bite.

Lots of youtube videos out there related to drill through various types of tile.

Good luck!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If you have/decide to remove them , slide by Harbor Fright and pick up a set of their left hand twist drill bits first . Saves a bunch of cussin' .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

DD03 , gonna take carbide or diamond to cut that glaze . A center punch and a *VERY* light tap will work well though .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Stainless steel is your friend.

Reply to