Possy OT: Best Oven Cleaner

It was the smoke coming from the oven the other day that decided me that it needed cleaning .:-(

It appeared to be caused by sp(l)atters on the roof of the oven above the grill element .Just as well I noticed it before it caught fire .

I started cleaning the floor and sides last night but ran out of stuff ( Cif Oven Cleaner) and because of the element being in the way I had to pull the oven out on to the floor and remove the back so I could take the element out .

I had an order coming from Tesco so ordered some Mr Muscle cleaner but in anticipation that might not be enough have you any suggestions for a product that is good at cleaning ovens ,especially burnt on stuff as there is still some on the walls and floor of the oven.

I seem to recall that Lakeland have a product for removing burnt on carbon deposits .

I'm not even sure if the walls are self-cleaning as the manfrs brochure only briefly mentions this .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

To save all the elbow grease, try putting a cupful of ammonia in and leaving overnight with the oven door closed. The alkaline fumes from the ammonia soften the gunk and make it very much easier to remove.

Martin Pentreath

Reply to
martop

This stuff is the business.

Toby

Sounds like just another caustic oven cleaner, like Mr.Muscle and the rest. I've never tried ammonia but, in principle, it should be by far the least labour intensive, with no danger of leaving an alkali residue. I just wonder whether the easily available "household ammonia" would cut it. Most people wouldn't have access to the .880 stuff.

Reply to
stuart noble

things that you can remove from the oven ...Racks and the like .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

It comes wit ha huge ziploc type bag for the racks, but the product is also for the actual oven - it is a gel type subatance, so it sticks to the sides and roof, and doesn't tend to all run down.

I use it on my combination oven/microwave (built in) and it works a treat. (I don't need it on the main oven, as that has a self cleaning cycle, which brilliant!

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

Pressure Washer. Naturally, no chemicals or debris from Angle Grinder

2009 ;-)
Reply to
Adrian C

Ah I see. I've just been out and got two bottles of ammonia so I'll try that overnight .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Where did you get it? My local large supermarket didn't seem to keep it. I wanted some for cleaning an inkjet head.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was in a local pharmacy for some soap and asked if they had it and they didn't but the lady pointed in the direction of an Asian Mini-Mart in the same block of shops and sure enough there it was beside all the other cleaning stuff.

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

I get mine from the local pound store. It isn't the high-intensity stuff, I don't know exactly what strength it's rated at, but it does the job (oven cleaning, I can't speak for inkjet heads).

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

And my local pharmacy told me that it is now a controlled substance, like you, I want some for the same job as you do. I'll try the Asian shop method.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Commercial kitchen cleaners use this stuff

The Medway Handyman

Probably the same sort of stuff being sold as non-caustic paint remover. Harmless but very expensive

Reply to
stuart noble

I though most self cleaning ovens only had the sides and back that self cleaned - the bottom is usually normal enamel.

Reply to
John

get access to remove the grill element as most of the cleaning needed to be of the roof of the oven ...When I poured the ammonia in to a tray I had put in the oven I caught a whiff of it ...Friggin' ell..no wonder it works on the crud.... there was a gap at the back of the oven where the element connections went through so I had to plug that up and then I covered the whole thing with a dust sheet as I could still smell the ammonia . ...

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Mine is all "normal enamel" as far as I know, you just select the self clean mode, and it heats it up to a crazy high temperature (it even locks the door) and everything gets vaporized - you just sweep out the ash when it is done :-)

Reply to
Toby

I see - a different approach. Mine has a sort of grey absorbent coating on the sides - I think the grease somehow gets held and burned off at a high (250) temp - but nothing as dramatic as yours. I think your has some sort of impressive sounding trade name.

Reply to
John

And that's the household stuff at 5-10% concentration. The commercial grade (.880) is around 30% IIRC.

Reply to
stuart noble