Fixing Lock-out Door Knobs

I just had some entry doors installed and it turns out that the door knobs = are the lock-out kind. By that I mean that you don't have to unlock the kno= bs to open the door from the inside. If you happen to forget that they're l= ocked, you can walk out, close the door, and find you're locked out.=20

Is there any way to modify this sort of knob so that it requires actual unl= ocking before going out? I'd hate to have to replace both knobs.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

I know of no such way. Replace.

(I'm a self employed locksmith, since 1986. I've worked on a lot of locks.)

.

Is there any way to modify this sort of knob so that it requires actual unlocking before going out? I'd hate to have to replace both knobs.

Paul

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

the lock-out kind. By that I mean that you don't have to unlock the knobs to open the door from the inside. If you happen to forget that they're locked, you can walk out, close the door, and find you're locked out.

unlocking before going out? I'd hate to have to replace both knobs.

Sounds like a dumb design. You might get better results if you mention more such as the manufacturer and anything else you know.

Reply to
George

lled and it turns out that the door knobs are the lock-out kind. By that I = mean that you don't have to unlock the knobs to open the door from the insi= de. If you happen to forget that they're locked, you can walk out, close th= e door, and find you're locked out. > > Is there any way to modify this sor= t of knob so that it requires actual unlocking before going out? I'd hate t= o have to replace both knobs. > > Paul > Sounds like a dumb design. You mig= ht get better results if you mention more such as the manufacturer and anyt= hing else you know.

Schlage locks. We have a similar design at the office.=20

I kept the old hardware, which were non-lock-out style. Since the manual lo= ck/unlock mechanism is only in the inside knob, if the old inside knobs fit= onto the new outside knobs, I can just replace them. May need to have them= brass plated to match the new door but that should solve the problem.

Reply to
Pavel314

I've worked on Schlage locks, for twenty or so years. A couple years ago, they changed the design, the new ones, I think are total garbage.

You will find two things:

1) the locking mechanism is part of the outdoor knob assembly 2) The inner knobs from another brand of lock will not be compatible.

.

Schlage locks. We have a similar design at the office.

I kept the old hardware, which were non-lock-out style. Since the manual lock/unlock mechanism is only in the inside knob, if the old inside knobs fit onto the new outside knobs, I can just replace them. May need to have them brass plated to match the new door but that should solve the problem.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is there any way to modify this sort of knob so that it requires actual unlocking before going out? I'd hate to have to replace both knobs.

{{

May be a local ordinance requirement. We had something similar in NC and I bought all our locks in another state. (maintance was tired of having to go let folk back in their apartments at odd hours)

Reply to
NotMe

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:PHrYr.3$ snipped-for-privacy@fe27.iad:

Correct me if I'm wrong. The idea behind always being able to get out of a house is a safety feature. You don't want to fumble for a key if the house is on fire.

Schlage may indeed be pretty shitty nowadays.

I'm really looking for a lock that does have the "no key necessary to leave" feature, but also a keypad or something digital that will allow me to get in without a key. There seem to be a host of those digital (?) locks and I need some advice which ones to use (ideally fitting a normal door, and programmable). Grateful for recommendations ...

Reply to
Han

the lock-out kind. By that I mean that you don't have to unlock the knobs to open the door from the inside. If you happen to forget that they're locked, you can walk out, close the door, and find you're locked out.

unlocking before going out? I'd hate to have to replace both knobs.

Can't you just hide a spare key outside?

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

That is what I did after my wife locked herself out. I have a garage with a keypad so the key is hidden inside the garage. Normally the garage door is down, so one would need that code plus know where the key is hidden.

Anyone wanting in would probably just break out a window anyway.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

$ snipped-for-privacy@fe27.iad:

I have this lockset, which seems to have the features you are looking for:

Kwikset SmartCode SmartKey Lifetime Polished Brass Commercial/ Residential Single-Cylinder Motorized Electronic Deadbolt

Lowes (long) link:

The keypad throws the deadbolt only. We have a separate lever set to control the latch. We did not buy a locking latch since I see no point. If they get past the deadbolt, the latch is not going to be any problem at all. Besides, why use a keyless entry for the deadbolt if you need a key for the latch?

Inside, on the back of the deadbolt controller, there's a small lever to lock/unlock the deadbolt, therefore no need for a key.

Throw the deadbolt lever to unlock the deadbolt, push down on the lever for the latch and you are out.

To lock the deadbolt from the outside, you simply push the center "Lock" image.

Having had the lockset for more than 2 years I'm still very satisfied. I'm not worried about the batteries dying while I'm out, since the device gives amble warning that the batteries are getting weak. I think I've changed them twice in the 2 years I've had it, despite what the review on the Lowes site says. In fact, I have not experienced any of the things mentioned in a couple of the reviews.

Besides, the garage door opener is also on key pad plus the wife and I keep a spare key hidden in ours cars for the odd chance that both the entry door digital lock and the GDO fail at the same time.

I'm not worried...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A couple friends of mine have Schlage lock-out door knobs. She was scared, one night, brought the spare key in. Husband out of town. Went to get the mail, and the usual happened. A neighbor let her use the phone, she called me to unlock the house.

.

That is what I did after my wife locked herself out. I have a garage with a keypad so the key is hidden inside the garage. Normally the garage door is down, so one would need that code plus know where the key is hidden.

Anyone wanting in would probably just break out a window anyway.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just can not fix stupid can we ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Only problem with hiding a key in the garage is the slim chance that someone is locked out *and* the GDO or power fails at the same time.

I know...what are the odds?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You are so, so right.

.

Just can not fix stupid can we ?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We use the garage door as the main in/out door to go all the way outside. It would be doubtful that we would go out and then close the garage door unless in the car and the keys for the cars and doors are all on the same ring.

There are 3 doors from the inside of the house to the outside, not counting the basement door that has a manual turn to lock it. The frount door knob will not lock and has another deadblot lock that can only be locked from the outside with a key. There is another side door and a door that goes into the garage that you can lock yourself out just by closing it.

There is always a possibility that anything could hapen, but atleast some steps have been taken to correct the problem.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I LOVE my electronic deadbolt lock its super convenient my only regret? i didnt get one 20 years ago...

I still carry a key on my key ring, that also opens other deadbolt locks, but havent used it more than twice in a year.....

best 99 bucks i ever spent

Reply to
bob haller

talled and it turns out that the door knobs are the lock-out kind. By that = I mean that you don't have to unlock the knobs to open the door from the in= side. If you happen to forget that they're locked, you can walk out, close = the door, and find you're locked out. > > Is there any way to modify this s= ort of knob so that it requires actual unlocking before going out? I'd hate= to have to replace both knobs. > > Paul > Sounds like a dumb design. You m= ight get better results if you mention more such as the manufacturer and an= ything else you know.

lock/unlock mechanism is only in the inside knob, if the old inside knobs f= it onto the new outside knobs, I can just replace them. May need to have th= em brass plated to match the new door but that should solve the problem.

Wrong, the thumb turn on the inside knob is basically just an indicator which fits into the shaft connected to the inner mechanism inside the outer knob assembly...

Swapping it will make no difference, the function of the lock depends on how that inner mechanism is configured, changing the knob will do nothing at all...

Just think at how many more people would be locked out if you actually had real commercial grade locks installed with vandal-resistant trims which are free to rotate but not engaged to the mechanism when locked...

Sounds like you made an upgrade from way older stuff to modern Schlage locks or from Kwikset to Schlage and thus were used to the old locks and how they worked... If lockouts are that much of a problem perhaps you should install a stand-alone electronic PIN based lock set so that if people get locked out they can get back in without a key...

Reply to
Evan

If maintenance was tired of dealing with lockout calls from the tenants then don't install keyed knob/lever sets in the tenant's unit doors... A standard deadbolt and a passage knob can not be locked from the outside without using a key... Don't know hoe many times I have read postings about this situation from people in maintenance and property management yet no one wants to install the proper locks to make sure a lockout can never happen without the tenant being out and misplacing/losing their keys OR someone being inside the unit purposefully locking the door to keep someone out...

Reply to
Evan

I just had some entry doors installed and it turns out that the door knobs are the lock-out kind. By that I mean that you don't have to unlock the knobs to open the door from the inside. If you happen to forget that they're locked, you can walk out, close the door, and find you're locked out.

Is there any way to modify this sort of knob so that it requires actual unlocking before going out? I'd hate to have to replace both knobs.

Paul

We also have the Schlage locks plus deadbolt. From what I have read Schlage locks cannot be (bump keyed) to let strangers to get in. Since both door lock AND deadbolt use same key this is what we prefer. You will learn to check before shutting the door. Ww

Reply to
WW

Why not just hide it outside? There are thousands of good places (besides under the doormat :-). I hide mine near a house corner under my landscape rocks in a small waterproof bag. I've only needed it once in 12 years.

Reply to
AaronL