Boiler spares - How much?

My Halstead combi packed up recently - the diverter valve stopped working so no HW (normally caused by a split diaphragm). There is a heating spares shop down the road from me so I enquired about a repair kit, they quoted

28 ukp plus 6ukp carriage plus VAT with a 3-day lead time for the diaphragm.

After a quick Google I found BES in Birmingham offering the diaphragm for

4.50ukp or the complete valve for 23.25ukp (plus 4.95 shipping plus VAT). I ordered the complete valve as the boiler is 13 yrs old and on its 2nd diaphragm, the goods arrived next morning. Now fitted and all working :)

The most expensive I found was actually online - uk-plumbing.com at

64.40ukp + whatever delivery + VAT for the valve.

How on earth do these people maintain business?

Reply to
Nick2

Greater volume, smaller margin than the other guys.

Don't assume that on line places are automatically cheaper. That's a phallacy. Other similar examples are the cartridges for shower valves. There can be a 3dB difference in price easily.

Reply to
Andy Hall

What is 28 ukp?

plus 6ukp .....................................what !!!

f*ck off

Reply to
Rusty Nail

ITYM a fallacy (...Or there again, do you?)

Reply to
Nick2

What would you say?

Reply to
Andy Hall

U.K. Pounds. A form of currency that has been around for a long time.

Even you should be able to work out 28 plus 6, innit?

I suppose from the "f*ck off" that'd be a no then...?

Reply to
Nick2

ASSHOLE

Reply to
Rusty Nail

What's that, a place to stick donkeys, or a self description?

Reply to
John Rumm

Depends what you do in the shower.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Well... The reply only quoted his/her own text, so probably self description or an announcement of some sort?

"Nail" implies not only a head but some form of sharpness - most unsuitable. "Rusty brown tea-towel holder" might be more appropiate!

Nick

Reply to
Nick2