Tom Tom

I bought a map upgrade today and just as the map was half way through installing the computer froze. It wouldn't do anything and told me it had no maps. It wouldn't restore a backup either so I was stuffed. I logged on to the tomtom support site and while I was searching FAQs a window popped up and asked if I wanted a one to one chat with a support engineer. To cut a long story short, she emailed me a complete set of instructions on how to format my tomtom, reinstall a new application and reinstall my maps. It took 2 hours to do but it worked. I love my Tomtom.
Lawrence

...yawn....
harry wrote:

You can buy relatively detailed road maps of the whole of Europe for a GPS for a hell of a lot less than it would cost to have the same thing on paper. Not to mention the trailer you would have to tow around to hold all the paper maps.
Paper maps do have advantages for some applications though, obviously. (Never needing a tech support person to talk you though a reinstall, for one. :-) )
In article

You read a map while driving around a strange town? Or do you actually drive at all?
--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

We we used to have to!
I still keep a South Yorkshire map book in the car. It's easier to plan 4 different jobs in a reasonable travel order than a sat-nav (which now does all my final directions).
--
Adam

Well, yes. We used to have to use call boxes to phone people when away from home too. Things move on.

Maps are great if you have a passenger who can read them.
--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges*

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 11:16:31 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
Or simply a clue and a memory. I've never owned and have no intention of owning a satnav - I've absolutely no need for one. If they'd been around when I was couriering, I'd probably have had one then, but only if the price was sensible. I enjoy using maps, always have, and have seen too many utter fuckwits blindly relying on their satnavs make utter cockups to want to join the brainless brood, thank you very much.

Perhaps you never go anywhere new. And/or stick to motorways.

Far cheaper than buying maps for the entire area they cover. And rather more convenient.

And a fuckwit reading a map while driving won't have accidents?
I'm sure there are those around who blindly follow sat nav instructions. But then there are lots around who shouldn't be driving for other reasons too. Probably approaching 50% of those on the roads.
--
*What hair colour do they put on the driver's license of a bald man? *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Women?
--
Adam

No. Unless driving Chelsea tractors their husbands have bought for them 'for the kid's safety'. The very worst drivers are always blokes.
--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Once the school run mums are out the way then 10% of drivers are still driving with vision that is so poor it would get them a ticket. We know school run mums cannot see the no parking signs or the zigzags outside the school but that is selective vision.
--
Adam

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 15:29:24 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

I used to walk up and down in front of the school, pretending to make notes in a notebook. Wearing a navy blue all weather coat.
They soon moved on. Occasionally told me 'I have a smaller child with me so I have to do this'; I often had too, but I still parked properly.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/range_rover_flips_over_in_a19_crash_near_sunderland_1_3934874
:-)
--
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 13:50:41 -0000, "ARWadsworth"

We went somewhere new yesterday and I got her to program the GPS. ;-)
My Mrs is probably a better biker than she is car driver.
Daughter has recently passed her car test (passed her bike test a couple of years ago) and her first real trip was driving up to her boyfriends parents place in Scotland (mit GPS of course).
Try asking a map where the nearest petrol station is, at night, in the rain whilst wearing thick leather gloves and on a motorbike making good progress.
Maps are still fun though but more as art or a hobby, or when planning an intercontinental tour (or when you 'have to').
Driving at night and now lost.
See name of place on road sign.
Find somewhere safe to pull over and stop.
Search road map using interior light, struggling with tiny font index for place. Not there.
Look for name of bigger place. Check index. Memorise page and grid.
Find page and grid location, not there. Re-check with Index. Get right code, right page and grid.
Drop map, start again.
Repeat for destination.
Memorise line between dots and hope there are no diversions, wrong way streets or major road changes.
Drive 5 miles. Stop and repeat ... or risk reading and driving ... (and of course I 'managed' doing all that along with everyone else in those days).
Versus, 'Find Postcode' > Go > Quickest ... 'Oh, ETA 17:15, oh, I should make it in time then ...' ;-)
OOI, Is there a TomTom PC app (Garmin has a Windows one called 'Mapsource' that's a bit clunky but works and an equivalent for OSX) that lets you see / plan routes / waypoints on your PC and then transfer them to the GPS? Or upload tracklogs to the same app carrying such information as speed and altitude for tiny increments of the entire journey? And I mean to the PC app rather than Google maps or some other Internetty solution?
And if so is there an equivalent for Linux (one of my biggest hurdles to being able to use Linux as a daily desktop)?
Cheers, T i m
T i m wrote:

Let's hope the petrol station showing on the SatNav is now not a hand car wash!
--
Adam

That would depend on the age of the map (or how often the satnav info is updated). My A-Z or rather one of them left behind by my ex flatmate is quite wrong. The pub she used to strip in is now a muslim cultural centre. If I check another map it seems my parents live near stratford goods yard, now it's the olympic site.

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 15:32:29 -0000, "ARWadsworth"

Ah well, on my Gamins at least the POI data often included a telephone number so if you are that short of fuel you can often phone ahead and find out.
Pre GPS and when going SE from Thurso to Dornoch 'she' indicated she was just going onto reserve on her XV750. 60 miles later after not seeing an open petrol station along the way she finally ran out. I siphoned 1/2 of what I had left in the BMW (and I had daughter pillion and was towing a trailer but it had a bigger tank) and we eventually found an open station and were able to fill both bikes up <phew>.
Who knows how many just_off_the_main_drag petrol stations we passed along the route? ;-(
Next time we had the GPS and it's never been an issue since. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
T i m wrote:

To be fair, you did a 70 mile journey and did 60 miles of it after the fuel reserve warning light came on.
Nice planning.
--
Adam

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 16:48:35 -0000, "ARWadsworth"

Quite, but isn't hindsight a lovely thing. ;-).
Many motorcycles didn't / don't come with fuel gauges so until the light comes on you don't have an accurate idea of how much fuel you have left before it does. Mine didn't even have a light, just reserve taps.
We live in an area where petrol stations are regular and open nearly 24/7.
We had ridden up to Dornoch (over 800 miles) with no issues (with loads of camps / stops / day trips and detours) and this was just a 'trip out' that day up to J.O.G. We started the trip with fairly full (if not full) tanks. (We returned with about 2000 miles on the clock and hadn't had any issues the 1500 miles on our Southern trip (L.E.) the year before).
We didn't remember seeing anything in Thurso nor going back towards J.O.G. so 'pushed on back to Dornoch as there weren't any 'certainties' behind us (there were a couple of petrol stations but this was a Sunday evening and they weren't open).
We did pass a couple of petrol stations on the road back but again, closed.
We had AA recovery and mobile phones.
The BMW had enough fuel to get back to civilisation.
The road wasn't completely deserted (but close).
So I feel we had done enough under the circumstances and the only things we could have done differently would have been:
Filled up on the way until we could guarantee we had enough fuel to get back. However, we hadn't planned the trip to Dunnet when we got to J.O.G.
Not gone on from J.O.G. to Thurso (well, we actually went to Dunnet Head but carried on as it was a quicker way back, ~70 v ~90 miles) and we both would probably have made it back ok.
Not gone out for a trip returning on a Sunday evening in the NE most part of Scotland.
Filled the trailer up with petrol. ;-)
Left the Mrs where she ran out as a lesson to her to get a bike that holds more than 3 gallons and does more than 50 mpg.
Had a GPS with us. 'Find > Nearest > Fuel / Services'.
We may have actually made it back with the surplus fuel from the BMW as I think we were only ~20 miles away and I could have had a couple of gallons left if we had filled up and done the same miles together (we had been doing). 1 gallon each would have got us back easily, had we been exactly sure where we were (we had a map but with us but because we knew the route we hadn't been taking much notice of it).
But you live and learn eh. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 11/4/2011 12:30 PM, T i m wrote:

Between Thurso and Dornoch, even with GPS, you won't find many petrol stations. (Can't find what doesn't exist!) There are even fewer between Thurso and Durness.