OT anyone tried the TomTom Go Android app?

I tried the TomTom Go Android app a few months ago and found that it didn't seem capable of searching for a couple of addresses I know exist. I reinstalled it five times and still no joy.

I've just installed it again and was pleased to find it now seems able to search. I asked it to plan a route from Conwy in North Wales to Bradford and it suggested a route via Derby! That's 4 hours and 215 miles when I know it takes 2.5 hours and about 130 miles!

Reply to
Murmansk

Murmansk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

And the price is stupid. Use google maps.

Reply to
Blocko

Conwy to Bradford on Avon is approx 230 miles.

TT will have given you both destinations and you chose the wrong one.

Reply to
alan_m

Yes. I wouldn't go through Derby though. Straight down the M6 I would have thought.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Make sure it is set to 'fastest route' not 'shortest route' .

I find that its easier to identify the locations on google maps on a computer, and then use google street view to get it spot on, and then transfer that to the tom ton go by zooming in on the map and setting a marker.

There are a few setups you need to do to get the audio and colours and views right, but once you have a working setup its superb - especially the live traffic cam warnings set up by other users reporting them in real time

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The price is less than one speeding ticket a year.

Google maps doesnt tell you where today's speed cam is

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

TomTom doesn?t tell you where the cop car is and that is what has booked me every time and so far away that you can't even see that it is a cop car.

Reply to
Blocko

All sat navs take people odd ways. I'm not sure why, I was jibing the taxi driver I had the other day as he did not live around here, asking him why he was going the long way around, he said it said there were road works and bad traffic. Well the road works finished two weeks before, so much for the intelligence of computer directions.

I do sometimes think that the apps or sat navs in general do not think ahead, they look at what they know for each leg and divert it according to traffic, and hence end up miles out of their way. They are seemingly unable to go back enough steps to find a shorter route if they think THE shortest route is compromised in any way. I don't use the walking apps myself since they are not accurate enough for that last 10 yards and indeed also often look at roads as if you were driving not walking. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

It does...if someone else spots it and reports it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not even possible with the cop cars that are driving around.

Reply to
Blocko

If you drive at the speed limit, that's not an issue.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

And if they don't ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

All routing software has it's limits. The longer the journey the more chance it's "wrong".

A few times I set off from Finchley to Birmingham. Sat nat *insisted* the fastest route - about 2:30 - was via the M1. I ignored it, found the M40 and did it in 2:10.

Personally I tend to use sat navs for the first or last few miles of a journey. The bit in the middle I'll freestyle.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Decent sat nav tells you where the traffic problems are

Reply to
charles

That "Go" stuff is mostly a waste of time. I've got a Motorola that has a lot of it - not actual Android Go I think as that only allows four apps to run at a time (for Indians with cheapo smartphones I think) - but Maps Go is rubbish. Usually better to install the full fat versions.

Reply to
Max Demian

The issue is not even wishing to exceed the speed limit. I bought tomtom Go at least half in order to let me know if I did inadvertently stray into a 30mph zone that I thought was a 50, or wander up to 85mph with everyone else, on the motorway.

It also tells me *exactly* how fast I am going, which my speedo does not.

To drive constantly watching the speedo is not for me ideal. I prefer to concentrate on the road and other road users. A device that gently alerts me to the fact that I am technically breaking the law without me having to check is worth every penny that I pay.

I of course tried the free apps, but ended up with tomtom Go and have paid them money every year since then (2015)

It suits my way of driving

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

well tomtom will at least have let you know with an audible warning that you are exceeding the speed limit anyway.

I do not use it to enable me to deliberately break speed limits. I use it to remind me that I am exceeding whatever the limit is, without having to constantly check the speedo - which isn't very accurate anyway. Mostly I drive on cruise control in speed limits. It reminds me to set it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can usuallly shave that much of tom toms estimates simply by maintaining a consisttent high speed and good overtaking on single lane roads

Sometimes I simply cant be arsed. a coeple of yeras back I went over to stay with friends in Warwick, from where I live in suffolk. On the way there it routed me onto the A14 north from cambridge and then via IIRC M6/coventry. That was a friday night.

On sunday coming back it took me a totally different route after the first 5 miles. I found myself on a fast empty road which had however, a lot of road works going on, Being sunday, traffic was light and there were no bottle necks. Since I didnt know either route well I just let it do its thing. Journey times were broadly the same, and I didnt have to think about where I was or where to turn off. Bliss.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh yes. and tomtom go will chime and suggest that you can save time by avoiding them One detour through the suburbs of Hatfield to avoid a congested roundabout was phenomenal.

in a million years I wouldnt have found that with a map, and certainly not while driving

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When I said Bradford I actually meant Saltaire, which is near Bradford, but I thought wouldn't be very familiar to most people. So I put the right place in and saw it on the map that it produced of the route, to go via Derby is utterly ludicrous.

Reply to
Murmansk