OT anyone tried the TomTom Go Android app?

Whereas I just set the limiter and be done with it.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

but you have to remember to do that

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And you don't a cruise control ?

And quite a few cars are able to automatically set their speed limiters by a combination of reading road signs and GPS - certainly the Ford I had on hire in 2019 could.

Certainly around town, I find speeding much less of an issue, as more cars - for whatever reason - do stick at the limit and the critical mass needed to keep the whole network under the limit is reached.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Oh dear. Tom tom REMINDS me to do that.

I woukldnt like to trust that. i git done because a speed limit was vehund some trees...

In Cambridge everyone does 15mph, because the speed limit varies from 20

- 50 depending, and no one knows what it is without a satnav, and its so full of speed cams that you could lose your license in a single day.

But of course its the times when it isn't full of traffic that get you, when the limit goes from 50 to 30 for no reason other than to feed the speed cam there.

Cambridge declared war on cars a decade ago, and they are winning. No one visits it any more

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The last time I went there by car there was an almost uninterpretable notice at the Park & Ride telling one how to use the ticket machine.

Reply to
charles

:-)

Watch out for Stoke and typing Bradley Stoke as Stoke Bradley too. And if you are in Southern England and wish to drive to Barry Island watch out for Barry in Angus, or you might bump into Jim :-)

Reply to
Andrew

The local roads in the village where I live are regularly gridlocked because people use their effing satnavs to avoid a short queue at the junction of 2 A roads elsewhere in the village. The dead-end road where I live has a cul-del-sac opposite and several times a week a van or sometimes a larger vehicle has to do a blind reverse and

3 point turn because having left the main road on 'advice' from a satnav, they miss an important turning and and up down a dead end.
Reply to
Andrew

Our house is called "Woodside", but there is also a road called Woodside in the village (Road 1940s, house 1911). Quite a few people get themselves lost

Reply to
charles

OP here

For anyone who cares, the answer to the original problem turned out to be that I didn't realise that the UK consists of three maps, I'd only installed one of them. So despite searching for a place that was within the map I HAD installed, it couldn't seem to find it, but when I installed the other two maps all now works fine and I actually think the TomTom app is very good now I've made it work!

It's a shame TomTom isn't clever enough to warn you that you've searched for somewhere outside of the map you have installed and suggest installing the missing maps!

I found the answer from someone on the TomTom user forum

Reply to
Murmansk