How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road?

You omit to say what O/S it is using.

It was explained to one of your alter-egos some time ago, how Google uses wifi for coarse geolocation, it may have escaped your notice that unless explicitly disabled, recent versions of android will do that even when WiFi is "off".

Reply to
Andy Burns

You didn't forget, it was very clear. It's just that a lot of people would rather answer some other question, not the one you actually asked.

Reply to
trader_4

How about telling us the tablet brand and model...., contact the manufacturer and ask them if it has GPS.

Reply to
Meanie

Are you able to use an offline map app such as Copilot?

Reply to
Meanie

Hey, it's Apple and they can do not wrong. The GPS circuitry is in the phone module; no phone module, no GPS. Standalone GPS receivers are inexpensive but if you buy the cheap iPad you're not going to get one. Cough up the $150 clams.

I recently saw a cartoon where if Apple was selling chocolate Easter rabbits, the head and ears would be extra cost options. The solid head option would be $100 more than the hollow head.

Reply to
rbowman

Playing armchair psychologist I think Apple users are the sort of people who like nice safe spaces where they won't be triggered by unapproved thoughts and the only choice they have to make it which Apple product to buy. Sad.

Reply to
rbowman

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 18:27:28 -0400, schrieb Meanie:

This is a simple technical question, which only needs technical answers.

I have been working deeply on Adobe Illustrator and five other projects, so I haven't fully tested yet how Google Maps knows where we are and how Google Maps routes without either cellular or GPS being available.

One thing I tested quickly though is the following, which needs to be confirmed on the road, since I was at home at the time of testing this where each test is started after rebooting the iPad.

  1. Location could not be determined Routing appears to not work (reporting "offline - touch to retry") Route Preview appears to work just fine a. Wi-Fi = off b. Bluetooth = off c. Airplane mode = on d. GPS does not exist e. Cellular does not exist f. Settings > Google Maps > Location > While Using the App = checked g. Settings > Google Maps > Notifications > Allow Notification = on h. Settings > Google Maps > Background App Refresh = on i. Google offline maps already previously downloaded using "OK MAPS"
  2. Location could not be determined Routing appears to not work (reporting "offline - touch to retry") Route Preview appears to work just fine a. Wi-Fi = off b. Bluetooth = off c. Airplane mode = off Google Maps > Location > While Using the App = checked g. Settings > Google Maps > Notifications > Allow Notification = on h. Settings > Google Maps > Background App Refresh = on i. Google offline maps already previously downloaded using "OK MAPS"
  3. Location could not be determined Routing appears to not work (reporting "offline - touch to retry") Route Preview appears to work just fine a. Wi-Fi = off b. Bluetooth = on Google Maps > Location > While Using the App = checked g. Settings > Google Maps > Notifications > Allow Notification = on h. Settings > Google Maps > Background App Refresh = on i. Google offline maps already previously downloaded using "OK MAPS"
  4. Location was extremely accurate Routing appears to work just fine Route Preview appears to work just fine a. Wi-Fi = on Google Maps > Location > While Using the App = checked g. Settings > Google Maps > Notifications > Allow Notification = on h. Settings > Google Maps > Background App Refresh = on i. Google offline maps already previously downloaded using "OK MAPS"

I need to test this on the road, so consider these preliminary results.

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 22:56:27 +0100, schrieb Andy Burns:

I wasn't sure if it mattered which operating system the tablet is using because I'm asking about Google Maps app location tracking without cellular or GPS.

But to answer your question clearly, this is an Apple iOS 11.2.6 tablet bought only a month ago so I'm still in the setup and organization phase where I was surprised that Google Maps routed and tracked fine without any GPS or cellular existing.

Ragnusen Ultred

Perhaps #4 can be explained by:

"The iPad can use Wi-Fi network trilateration from Skyhook Wireless to provide location information to applications such as Google Maps."

"Skyhook is a mobile location services company based in Boston, MA that specializes in location positioning, context and intelligence."

Reply to
Retired

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 17:52:41 -0400, schrieb nospam:

You just make everything up, like what you just said.

To prove that statement, simply point to the location where anyone was "told this information", and especially to the "many occasions".

What's that? You can't?

I know. You just made it up. Like you constantly do.

You just make everything up. Have you no sense of credibility?

Anyway, you clearly don't know the answer even though this is a simple technical question, so moving on, I turned off everything I could as the starting point, where, under that specific circumstance, the Google Maps app could not track the location.

However, when I started turning stuff on, even without any GPS or cellular functionality on the tablet,

So, the end result, for sms and anyone else contemplating purchasing this

128GB 9.7" WiFi-only tablet which I bought three of at Costco about a month ago for $300, the Google Map app /does/ appear to be able to route even though the table does not have a GPS or cellular functionality.
Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 18:25:25 -0400, schrieb Meanie:

Just to confirm, the tablet is the cheapest recent Apple 9.7-inch 128GB WiFi-only tablet, which I bought three of at Costco, where I gave two away as gifts, and kept one to learn more about it and to help the others use it.

Currently I have only loaded the following freeware map apps for off trail and on-road tracking and routing.

At that cheap price of only $300, the tablet doesn't have cellular or GPS capabilities, so I had assumed that the tablet couldn't do map routing on the road, but it turns out that it can do map routing on the road even without GPS or cellular signal.

So I'm just asking a simple technical question of /how/ it does that.

Sometimes, it gives me the following error:

At other times, it does only a preview but not an active route:

And yet, it routes at other times.

So I'm just asking someone to explain how that happens, where all the childish silly semantic games should be left for the Apple children to play.

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 11:34:48 -0400, schrieb nospam:

Even though nospam always just guesses so he has a hit rate of about a 33% (or an F in any classroom), he's actually right, by sheer luck, on this guess of his.

The tablet /can/ route and track even without having any GPS or cellular capability.

You have to turn location services on in the Google Map settings.

In addition, it helps to turn notifications on for the Google Map app.

At that point, even with no GPS and no cellular capability, the tablet can actually route and track and do previews, as long as you've previously downloaded the offline Google Maps of the desired area.

The only technical question here is how Google does this, where it's clear that WiFi is involved.

Because without WiFi, Google can't seem to figure anything out.

So, even after the Apple children have buzzed the picnic like an annoying set of miserable gnats, the question remains which of the two methods Google Maps is using for the location services.

  1. Is Google using the geolocation of the *connected* WiFi access point?
  2. Or is Google using the geolocation of the *unconnected* Wi-Fi APs?

NOTE: When you're on the road, you won't be connected to anything but wide-open access points, so that's why the answer to the question matters.

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 15:33:47 -0400, schrieb Meanie:

I understand that there are brands of tablets, but we're all talking about the Google Map app, and "a" tablet that doesn't have cellular or GPS but that does have GPS.

The question remains which of the two methods the Google Maps app is using for the location services.

  1. Is Google using the geolocation of the *connected* WiFi access point?
  2. Or is Google using the geolocation of the *unconnected* Wi-Fi APs?

NOTE: When you're on the road, you won't be connected to anything but wide-open access points, so that's why the answer to the question matters.

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 21:40:34 GMT, schrieb Tim:

Once you have GPS, or if you have cellular, which I have for free for life on all my other tablets, then everything is easy.

The hard part is to track and route without GPS and without cellular.

Hence, the question remains which of the two methods the Google Maps app is using for the location services.

  1. Is Google using the geolocation of the *connected* WiFi access point?
  2. Or is Google using the geolocation of the *unconnected* Wi-Fi APs?

NOTE: When you're on the road, you won't be connected to anything but wide-open access points, so that's why the answer to the question matters.

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 11:34:48 -0400, nospam wrote: | In article , Paul | Colquhoun wrote: | |> | Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was |> | "tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does |> | not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability. |> |

My mistake. Not sure where I got that idea, I just thought GPS chips were cheap & plentiful.

Reply to
Paul Colquhoun

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 20:17:53 -0700, schrieb Ragnusen Ultred:

Ooops,. I mean we're all talking about the Google Map app, and "a" tablet that doesn't have cellular or GPS but that does have WiFi.

The technical question of what Google Maps is using, since these are each possible together or alone:

  1. Is Google using the geolocation of the *connected* WiFi access point?
  2. Or is Google using the geolocation of many *unconnected* Wi-Fi APs?

NOTE: When you're on the road, you won't be connected to anything but wide-open access points, and even then, the tablet might be set to ask before connecting, so that's why the answer to the question matters.

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 22:55:53 -0400, schrieb Retired:

Thank you for being a helpful adult in suggesting /how/ Google Maps determines location so accurately, where it's clear now that Google Maps uses Wi-Fi but it's not clear whether they're using only a "connected" access point, or if they can use "non connected" access points.

To explain further the huge difference, let's say I'm traveling and I'm in NYC and I accidentally connect to the *wide-open* Access Point with the SSID of "Times Square Access Point", then it would not be difficult for Google Maps to know that this access point is located in the middle of Times Square (based on the IP address lookup that Google Maps would have to store in the offline map database).

On the other hand, let's say I'm in the same spot, but there are zero wide-open access points to connect to, but, the WiFi "sees" scores of secured access points, all of which are in the Google Maps online database, of course, as long as they don't end with "nomap" like all my many access points do.

The one caveat is that a "wide open" access point may be set to ask to join, or to automatically join, it seems (you can see the setting in the screenshot above).

The URL on Skyhook Wireless says: "Skyhook originally began by geolocating Wi-Fi access points and evolved with the idea that hybrid positioning technology, which incorporates Wi-Fi, GPS, cell towers, IP address and device sensors, could improve device location."

Notice though, that this Skyhook explanation, while admittedly apropos and interesting, doesn't yet answer the technical question of what Google Maps is using, since these are each possible together or alone:

  1. Is Google using the geolocation of the *connected* WiFi access point?
  2. Or is Google using the geolocation of many *unconnected* Wi-Fi APs?

NOTE: When you're on the road, you won't be connected to anything but wide-open access points, and even then, the tablet might be set to ask before connecting, so that's why the answer to the question matters.

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

It is a "guestimate" derived from the presumed location of wifi in the local area. No wifi - no location. Poor wifi, poor location.

Basically pretty useless for navigation, and dubvious even for telling you what is "close by"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Am Sat, 31 Mar 2018 14:36:10 +1100, schrieb Paul Colquhoun:

This is the cheapest Apple 2017 128GB 9.7-inch tablet you can get, at $300, where, since I bought three of them, the price matters, but where it doesn't have GPS or cellular capability at that price. *The 2017 9.7-inch 128GB iPad with Wi-Fi is $300 at Costco*

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

Just try it 15 miles from town with no wifi nearby. It will be TOTALLY lost.

Reply to
Clare Snyder