Does Google maps go on popular searches?

I searched for an address mentioned on TV and I only had to put in the house number and the first letter of the street when it found it.

It was 16 Wardle Brook Avenue

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

When I type "16 w" into google maps, it brings up two addresses within this village and four in neighbouring towns with roads beginning with "W", it only gets to Wardle Brooke Avenue after I get as far as typing "16 war"

What if you type "25 c"?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It searches for hits closest to your location. If you type in 16 wardle it will bring up various wardle avenue/road/street/lane depending on distance from your location.

To see it in action, do a directions to in google maps and keep adding destinations. In your case the postcodes gained using "Wardle " are: SK14 3JG M40 7LR M32 0TE M33 3BW BL2 1ND

Reply to
Richard

I got 16 weeks pregnant

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Why would that be popular though. If the address is close to your geographical area, it does know roughly where you are so it probably searches locally first.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Not so much popular but infamous for Brady and Hindley living there.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Still having a tab open pointing at Carbis Bay that somebody linked to in another thread, a long way from my current location (not that I let Google have location access in my browser), if I type 'buc' I get:

Buckfastleigh Buckingham Buckinghamshire Bucket of Blood Hayle The Bucket of Blood Churchtown Road Pillack Hayle

The same if I type 'buck', and only after I type 'bucki' does Buckingham Palace appear (at number 3).

So seems like they prioritise local things and larger places, rather than popular locations.

(I am not logged into this browser, try to block Google's tracking cookies)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Fact is it came up immediately when I typed 16 W.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Presumably it was not the only suggestion? e.g it might have also chosen

16 Willow Crescent, Braithwell being somewhat closer?
Reply to
Andy Burns

I just typed 16 W again on my phone and it put 16 Wardle Brook Avenue at the top of the list, and said it's 33 miles away. I'm certain it must be because lots of people have searched for that address with it being on the telly. I've screen-shotted it.

I just did it on the PC and got the same result. I've screen-shotted that as well.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I can tell you what causes that.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I think it mostly shows local addresses that match what you type, but addresses you have recently searched for probably "beat" being local.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In Google, not Google Maps

Reply to