PVR with Wi-Fi

What are the choices these days? Must have FreeView Play as well as the usual smart services. 1TB storage would be good too.

The Humax FVP-4000T ?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just possibly it might be worth getting a BT Youview box. The snag is that you have to put up with their useless customer disservice.

You pay £12 a month (min 12 mths) for the TV package, which includes quite a capable PVR.

Snag is you need to take their line plus broadband. Cheapest line rental with fibre broadband is £27 a month, and that's limited at 25GB/mth. Another £13/mth to get rid of the limit.

Various one-off charges - total = £60-ish.

But you get back £100 Quidco and BT give you a £125 reward card.

At the end of the 12mths you can probably stop the contract but keep the PVR.

Reply to
GB

I'm happy enough with my HDR 2000-T, although having recently got an even smarter TV I use that for streaming.

Reply to
newshound

You don't; you can just buy the box retail. No need for any subscription.

I would recommend BT's DTR-T2100 (made by Humax) however it doesn't have built-in wifi. If there's no wired LAN available you'd need powerline adapters or a wired-wireless bridge.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Forgot to mention that it is only 500GB though and as far as I am aware isn't upgradable.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

That's what I have. Should have said I wasn't asking for myself. But my BT Humax doesn't have Wi-Fi or FreeView Play. You have to use the various players - nothing like as convenient.

My BT bill is nothing like that high.

I've no reason to want to cancel my BT fibre. It's been *far* more reliable than any of my previous ISPs. And as regards 'service' their help desks are just as bad as I'd expect. But luckily have only needed them once in some 3 years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)