Plumbers challenge

Can anyone tell me the purpose of this bit of plumbing installed in a kitchen cupboard of a National Trust cottage we rented?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

It's certainly very impressive.

Reply to
charles

It makes the water go round and round until it gets dizzy.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The ultego III smart is a compact heat meter for the accurate recording of energy consumption. The device comprises a flow sensor, two fixed connected temperature sensors and a calculator that calculates energy consumption using the volume and temperature difference.

I guess the cat's cradle of pipework is all part of it.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Measuring the amount of heat "consumed" within the cottage, might it be connected to a communal system serving several properties, or where the cottage piggy-backs onto a neighbouring property so it no longer has its own boiler?

Is the black box a plate heat exchanger?

Looks like a blending valve in there too?

Reply to
Andy Burns

DIY version of one of these?

(to pinch Tim's Russ Andrews post).

I guess the plumber was grateful for push-fit!

Reply to
newshound

No, no, no:

It makes the water go round and round in order to heat it up

Reply to
Judith

National Trust have been fitting "communal" ground source heat pumps to supply some of their cottages so could be part of that

Reply to
Robin

communal heating system and heat metering:

The ultego III smart is a compact heat meter for the accurate recording of energy consumption. The device comprises a flow sensor, two fixed connected temperature sensors and a calculator that calculates energy consumption us ing the volume and temperature difference.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Since I cannot see it and only going from the descriptions here I could caption the photo. Damn who nicked the cold fusion water heater it goes in the middle. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

What are the fittings that look like a combined gate/double drain valve? Never seen anything like that.

Reply to
bblaukopf

Answering my own question, looks like a manual balancing valve

bblaukopf

Possibly to do with dosing an off mains water supply with chlorine.

Reply to
harry

Possibly to do with dosing an off mains water supply with chlorine.

Is the water stored in a tanK?

Reply to
harry

Balancing valves, apparently, I've not seen them before

Reply to
Andy Burns

Heat meter, used to charge for heating from a central source or to monitor solar heating, etc.

Reply to
dennis

2041%2019.jpeg

Waste heat from power stations you mean? I thought the idea of that is that it's free, or at least unmetered. They'll be metering the air we breathe next.

Reply to
Max Demian

a bit unrealistic surely

They do when you're on a ventilator or oxygen.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Looks like crimped not push fit.

Reply to
ARW

Probably the expensive Rothenberger kit as in the "Impressive toys for jobs" thread.

Reply to
Andy Burns