Gas question

Before this house I've not had anything to do with mains gas so need a bit of guidance. We need to move the cooker out of the kitchen for laying of a new floor. The gas connections seems to be some kind of twist lock fitting but has no isolator valve. Can I disconnect this and leave the mains turned of for the boiler?
See for what it looks like. https://tinyurl.com/yalsdket
Or if you don't trust that link use this one. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vugp22nbsl4r7rh/Photo%2002-01-2018%2C%2017%2014%2036.jpg%20-%20Shortcut.lnk?dl=0
Mike
Muddymike wrote:

Yes the bayonet connectors are self-sealing and OK to be left unplugged temporarily ...
On 02/01/2018 17:38, Andy Burns wrote:

Not sure about it being a temporary thing.
Many council houses have both a gas bayonet and an electrical cooker connection unit.
And to Mike, you sometimes need gorilla strength hands to get the bayonet off. That is normal.
I always put a bit of water with washing up liquid in it around the seal after removing the cooker to check the seal has worked.
--

Adam

ARW wrote:

Plenty of plumbers have arguments whether a bayonet is *only* for temporary disconnect, or whether it is also allowed for permanent disconnection without capping-off ... I can't argue either way, but it's fine for the O/P's purpose.
On 02/01/2018 20:00, Andy Burns wrote:

I only need it disconnected for a few days whilst the tiles are lifted and a new floor laid.
Mike
On 02/01/2018 20:02, Muddymike wrote:

I have disconnected a few times over the years when replacing cookers / tiling etc. Yes they can be a bit stubborn. I always check with soapy water that the pipe doesnt leak, both at disconnection and reconnection.
On 02/01/2018 20:02, Muddymike wrote:

It isn't unknown for them to not seal correctly. If this happens, just push the centre firmly, briefly. That usually does the trick.
I admit to calling the gas company for a suspected leak to discover it was one of these beasts we'd never used. The chap showed me the trick and explained it wasn't uncommon.

Kind of reminds me of the antics they had on the ISS when removing similarly supposedly self sealing connections for ammonia. Sometimes they worked, ahem. Brian
--
----- -

In our last house there was one by the fireplace to use with the gas poker.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 02/01/2018 20:46, charles wrote:

I remember going up to Epsom via Paddington as a kid, from Cardiff on a steam train with a ?King Class loco in front.
At my grandparents house there was what seemed to be a gigantic plug socket next to the fire and Grandpa plugged in a huge hair dryer (or so it seemed) with a 3 foot long nozzle that he pushed into the coals to light it.
With hindsight I think the plug socket had round pins, probably 15 amp.
When I stayed there in the 70's, I remember a kerfuffle when a cousin found that the top floor had bare electric wires behind a switch because the vulcanised rubber cable had turned to dust. Emergency rewire needed, but cousin was a GPO apprentice so he did it.
On Fri, 05 Jan 2018 13:52:49 +0000, Andrew wrote:

We had a couple of those, including one of the very early ones. My grandmother had one too. (my father was manager of an electricity showroom so we got a lot of stuff, including the cooker with a transistor radio in it!)

Ours were all 13 amp - my father rewired the house.
Those things were great. Basically a blower with a big heater coil. By default it started up cold, and you inserted a forked key and pulled it back to turn on the heat. Lit the coal in no time. Basically electric bellows!
You can still buy similar things, although they seem expensive now.
http://amzn.eu/b5qssmK
On 02/01/2018 17:38, Andy Burns wrote:

But tape a plastic bag around it to keep it clean.
Cheers
--
Clive

On 03/01/2018 09:02, Clive Arthur wrote:

Good idea, I'll do that.
Mike
On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 09:49:28 +0000, Muddymike wrote:

It's just occurred to me that if you can get a reasonably tight seal, a sandwich bag will inflate if there's any leakage from the self sealing connector which will not only provide dust protection but also allow you to detect any non-trivial leakage at a glance making it a doubly good idea. :-)
--
Johnny B Good

On 02/01/2018 17:31, Muddymike wrote:

Yup, it should be a self sealing bayonet connection.

That's just a link to a windows shortcut!
--
Cheers,

John.
On 02/01/2018 21:34, John Rumm wrote:

Indeed. Neither link worked for me - but I agree with all the comments about being self-sealing.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Roger Mills wrote:

The links did not work for me. Muddymike is a cyclist, cyclists are not too bright. And yes, the bayonet will seal fine.
On 02/01/2018 22:19, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I did once cycle, probably not since 1988 though!
Mike
On 02/01/2018 22:05, Roger Mills wrote:

It seems I copied the wrong link. This one works for me.
https://tinyurl.com/y76xnqoh
Mike
Muddymike wrote:

Seems a bit lower down than most I've seen, usually a couple of feet up the wall, has the flexible pipe suffered at all from being curled upwards?