How do i fit a 30amp electric cooker?

OK I have googled this but without much luck.
Have a new Electric cooker arriving soon which needs 30amp connection. The 30amp cooker socket /switch is installed already which has a spur which acts as a "connection box" for the actual cooker cable to connect to.
My question is simple - is this as easy to wire in as a standard UK mains plug? or is it a bit more tricky? Have a friend who is an electrician so could ask him to do it for me but if its simple enough then would like to do it myself. Looked for some diagrams but could see nothing on the net ;-(
Lastly before I go - the old cooker is a GAS only type and I believe it has a bayonet type fitting (is this a UK countrywide type fitting) and if so is it just case of twist and pull to disconnect? Would i need to get that connection checked after removal or will just the twist and pull be enough to prevent any further escape of gas (apart from whats left in the hose still connected to the cooker)
I am sure this is all very easy but I would just like to check first.
Thanks
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:48:23 -0000, "purple pete"

Yes.
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:48:23 -0000, purple pete wrote:

Not sure what you mean by a "spur" in this context, I guess you mean a cooker outlet plate, like this:
<http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/White_BG_Index/BG_Cooker_Outlet/index.html
Wiring it up is easy; just make sure you use the right size cable, and get the LNE connections right!
--
Nigel M

The
acts
<http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/White_ BG_Index/BG_Cooker_Outlet/index.html>
As a temporary measure only you can remove the gas hose from the fitting, but you must get it capped of permanently, you cannot leave a open bayonet fitting on gas supply.
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:39:28 +0000, powerstation wrote:

Whilst I accept this is good practice. I can find no reference to this in any gas fitting text.

A bayonet fitting is classed as a tap, therefore it cannot be used as permanent means of disconnection, that has to be a screwed fitting, compression fitting or soldered end. The use of a tap is not permitted in the same way as in that if you removed a hob would you find it acceptable to just turn off the tap and leave an open end ?
Pete- registered gas installer
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:48:23 -0000 someone who may be "purple pete"

1) find out the size of the protective device for the circuit. This will probably be 30A or 45A.
2) get a length of cable that will allow you to pull the cooker out far enough to make the connection easily. The size of this cable will depend on the answer to 1). http://www.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/Deal_Electrical__6242Y_Twin_plus_Earth_Cables_10.html may help you.
3) wire it up, following any instructions that come with it.
4) don't forget green and yellow sleeving for the earth core, where it is outside the sheath.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
purple pete wrote:

Push a bit, twist and pull.

It should self seal. Personally I would test it with a leak detection spray to make sure. A small amount of washing up liquid and water sprayed on as a foam will also do the job. Wipe any residue off after though as washing up liquid can be a little corrosive over time.
--
Cheers,

John.