Attaching a fence/screen to the top of a wall with stone "battlements" on it!

I've been asked to make some kind of screen to hide an unsightly bit of roo f in next door's yard. These photos show where it needs to go.

I've suggested what is effectively a fence with vertical slats, close toget her, about 80cm long (tall) made of Tanalised decking boards and that's bee n accepted.

The length of the fence will be about 3.25M. It'll have horizontal cross pi eces at the top and bottom between the posts to which the decking panels wi ll be attached.

I'd be interested in opinions on how to attach the posts to that wall. We w ant it entirely separate from the structure that's already there on the oth er side of the wall and the surface of the decking boards needs to be not t oo far back from the surface of the wall on this side.

I'm thinking resin fixings?

Reply to
Murmansk

Offer to clad the back of the neighbour's lean-to in shiplap?

Reply to
Andy Burns

High high is that horrible structure? That close to the boundary it will need PP if above 3m.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

oof in next door's yard. These photos show where it needs to go.

ether, about 80cm long (tall) made of Tanalised decking boards and that's b een accepted.

pieces at the top and bottom between the posts to which the decking panels will be attached.

want it entirely separate from the structure that's already there on the o ther side of the wall and the surface of the decking boards needs to be not too far back from the surface of the wall on this side.

FWIW the top is the weakest part of a wall to fix to.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I think I'll probably end up going for trellis attached to posts fixed to the face of the wall, with some artificial climbing plants.

This will be lighter, will attach to the stronger part of the wall and will let the wind pass through

Reply to
Murmansk

To look right, I think the trellis should probably start at ground level. That's obviously a personal matter of taste, but I'd discuss it with the property owner. (Or is that you?)

Not sure about artificial plants. If you use decent supports running the full height of the wall and fixed to it all the way up, I don't see the weight of Honeysuckle, say, as being a problem. Not ivy, though!

The trellis should possibly be detachable, so the wall can be painted occasionally.

Reply to
GB

Yup. Mate had new fences put up a couple of years ago (about 2 metre high). Expensive job with brick sleeper walls and brick pillars between the wood panels. Looked very good indeed.

One side got blown down in the wind a few months ago, so they re-built using steel reinforcement to the brick pillars. Other side got blown down recently.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)