Exposing internal stone wall

I wonder if anyone can give me any tips about exposing internal stone walls? I've just acquired an old stone-built house with some very crumbly plaster. Having hacked some of it away I've exposed some reasonable stonework - how do I go about repointing it sympathetically and sealing it to eliminate dust but without trapping any moisture within the wall?
Many thanks in advance
Jack
--

Jack Sais

delete "thisbit" for email
Try asking the building conservation officer at your local council who should know or direct you to those who do.

walls?
plaster.
do
but
Don't know about repointing but I tried B&Q Exterior Stabilising Primer on a dusty interior brick wall with very good results - it left an attractive clean satin surface.
NB don't do this outside: without a topcoat, the surface will become milky and messy-looking every time it rains.

Hack it off with a pin hammer or whatever and wire brush and clean with brick acid if needed. Seal with a waterproof coat of anything you like and then hack or wire brush a little more pointing out (to remove the layer of waterproofing on it) and point with a lime sand mix.
The colour of the sand will dictate the final effect. Try a variety of mixes before the final step. You can use as much lime as you like even use it neat for a white pointing. About 6 parts sand to 1 of lime is usual. You can even use less as it is not a weatherproof.
You can also use cement pointing of course. Working with lime compo is easier and in my opinion looks better. After pointing, the stone will easily clean up because of the sealant. You might want to reseal the whole wall(s) again. There shouldn't be a damp problem.
Brick acid is one of the strongest acids, hydrochloric acid -worse than bleach. If you choose to use it you do so at the risk of damage to pipes and wires as well as to furnishings.

replying to Michael McNeil, Looking160 wrote: I dont think sealing a wall is appropriate Michael. Walls need to breath, they take moisture in & let it out. Sealing will leave wall damp as no escape, crumble & then structural damage caused. I think rub on some kind of oil on the stone, it brings it out & stays looking darker for some time
On 11/12/16 20:14, Looking160 wrote:

Usual homoaners bollocks
On 11/12/2016 18:14, Looking160 wrote:

Would you care to tell us the post you replying to, and which decade it was posted?

He did, you deleted that from the quoting for some reason.
On 11/12/2016 20:35, Rod Speed wrote:

Your newsreader must be infinitely better than mine. Would you be kind enough to add the lines you say I deleted?

Nope.

I didn’t say lines.

It is included as a sig, which presumably your newsreader dropped automatically when you replied, but it was visible before you replied.
On 11/12/2016 23:24, Rod Speed wrote:

The sig didn't include the context or the date of the original post.
I don't see why I should click on a link to find out, assuming it would be there in the first place.

But did include a link to the full context and date.

More fool you given that it said where the context was.

No assumption involved, it said that explicitly.

This one! for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/exposing-internal-stone-wall-65770-.htm
I hate HOH as much as much as anyone, but at least its sig does exactly what it says.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
On 11/12/2016 23:29, Graham. wrote:

Maybe, but the sig doesn't directly contain the date of the OP's post any more than mine.
--
https://www.diy-forums.com/threads/exposing-internal-stone-wall.8470/

On 11/12/2016 23:29, Graham. wrote:

But the posters from that site don't seem to see that the articles are decades old. It happens so often that they must be seeing something different to what's contained in the advertising link.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On Sunday, 11 December 2016 18:14:03 UTC, Looking160 wrote:

The OP is probably dead by now. Get yourself a sensible newsgroup client or portal. This is news:uk.d-i-y.
NT
On 11/12/2016 18:14, Looking160 wrote:

That's how I recycle my old engine oil :)
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On Sunday, April 4, 2004 at 3:56:23 AM UTC+1, rrh wrote:

Take care that building control don't take an interest in it (now or later). If it's an external wall then you will be 'interfering with a thermal unit'.
Robert
On 12/12/2016 10:13, RobertL wrote:

[snip]

I doubt if Building Control would have any interest in a 'thermal unit' that was 'interfered with' over twelve years ago.
--
Mike Clarke

walls?
plaster.
do
but
Re-point with a mixture of 1 part lime putty (use google to find your nearest supplier) to about 4 or 5 parts of a sharp sand chosen to give the colour you like. I use Wickes sharp sand which has a nice pinkish white colour.
Do not attempt to seal the wall - it will trap moisture and lead to damp problems.