Cultured stone

------------------------------------- jodie

I did a cultured stone job about 2 years ago, and I sealed the stone. The stone was Owens Corning stone and it is crumbling from the face in. I thought it might be due to freeze-thaw conditions here in Michigan, and I could accept this if it was only down by the concrete where ice would build up but it is happening a good foot and a half up the wall. It is only up about 2 feet. Has anyone else seen this and what is the problem? Thank you for any advice you may have.

Reply to
jodie

jodie wrote the following:

It's good that you mentioned 'wall' later in the message because 'job' could be anything. Did you provide for drainage of water that would gather behind the stone wall?

Reply to
willshak

I wonder what Owens Corning would say about that. It seems that the concrete is stable, and therefore why would freeze be a problem. I know if concrete freezes when it is fresh it could create a problem. Could it be any "acid" or some chemical condition? Is salt used in the area for ice?

I know the "finish" on these stones is only surface deep, and applied on the stone for decoration. I also do not live in an ice area, or not for long periods of time. Does any water tend to "splash" on the area of concern from the roof. Hummm not any fun..... john

------------------------------------- jodie

I did a cultured stone job about 2 years ago, and I sealed the stone. The stone was Owens Corning stone and it is crumbling from the face in. I thought it might be due to freeze-thaw conditions here in Michigan, and I could accept this if it was only down by the concrete where ice would build up but it is happening a good foot and a half up the wall. It is only up about 2 feet. Has anyone else seen this and what is the problem? Thank you for any advice you may have.

Reply to
jloomis

Good point. Ten feet behind my parents house was a six foot high retaining wall made of natural stone. After it fell, the guys who did the work, included drainage. So that water coming in behind the wall, would flow into one pipe, then through the wall, and into another drainage pipe.

Reply to
richard

Some photos would be helpful; an overall shot & some close ups.

Knowing the wall design & substrate material would be as well.

Is the cultured stone itself failing or is coming off in intact pieces.

build up but it is happening a good foot and a half up the wall.

Reply to
DD_BobK