Garage Door not opening and working backwards ?

Hi I have a Henderson Merlin garage door and I have replaced the wire to both sides. I?ve re-tensioned both sides and the spring. The garage door seems to be working backwards so when the door is opened it gets harder as it is opened up. This should be the opposite and should open with ease and by itself? Do you have any idea what has gone wrong? I?ve tried to re-tension the spring both ways and it doesn?t seem to make a difference?

Reply to
Gavin

A photo of the mechanics side may help...

(also take care with these things - the energy stored in the springs can be considerable!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Gavin Wrote in message:

Pretty obviously, you've done it wrong. ;-)

It shouldn't be *that* hard to work out that the spring should tighten as the door lowers consequently you'll need some pre-tension in the fully open position and the tension should increase as the door is lowered.

As John says though, take care as these springs can store a lot of energy.

No thanks, this is usenet. Please use a newsreader program to properly read and post messages in context.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+