GARAGE DOOR STILL OFF CENTER !!!

Hi all,

About a month ago, I posted a question asking what might make one of my garage doors be off center. All of the answers I got said that a weak spring on

1 side might do that. Well, I got 2 new matched springs yesterday, and installed them---same problem--the door is rubbing against 1 of the tracks as it goes up. I tightened the cable on that side to give it more tension, but no difference. I then switched the springs, left to right, and still no difference.

All of the rollers are free, both to rotate and to slide in or out. The door is not warped, and the tracks still look perfect--not bent or warped. I can push the door sideways and center it, but as soon as it starts to move, it slides to

1 side. What could cause this problem, beside a weak spring ??? My other garage door is perfectly centered with no problems.

RON. ======================================================== Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Reply to
Ron in NY

You don't state whether the garage door is extension or torsion spring style, but either way I think the problem is the same. The springs may be new but it sounds like they are not set the same on tension. If you have extension springs you need to adjust the length of the cables that run from the spring end, through the pulleys, to the bottom of the door. The side that rubs against the rail needs to be made longer, as it is too tight right now. I put an extra length of chain on mine with a turnbuckle installed on each side for extra fine-adjustment capabilities. Start by moving a link at a time looser, then when you get down to being close, the turnbuckle will allow for smaller adjustments. Open and close the door after each adjustment is made, by hand, do not use the electric opener. The door should hang level at approximately halfway up, with the electric opener disconnected.

If you have torsion springs then the adjustment on the side that is rubbing is to tight, close the garage door and back that side off a half turn at a time until it works correctly. ie: back off half a turn, tighten spring to rod, try garage door up and down, wash, rinse, repeat. BE CAREFUL AND ONLY ADJUST TORSION SPRINGS IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! It can be done but it is dangerous if your not careful.

Jim

Reply to
Just Jim

I agree with Jim. Springs need to be adjusted - balanced. I suspect this is the problem. As they age it is possible that they don't stretch the same and require a re-balance. You don't need to replace the springs unless they are greatly out of spec or don't match.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The tracks "look perfect"? WHat does that mean? They need to be straight, parallel to each other, perpendicular to the door, and perfectly centered around the hoist(s) and springs/cables. The vertical part of the track has to actually be vertical, too.

Reply to
Goedjn

How badly is your house tilted to one side, Ron?

Just kidding, but If diddling with the spring tensions isn't helping at all I agree it's time to check the orientation and parrallelism of the rails, you may find some suprising differences there.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

============================================================== Hi Jim,

They are extension springs. Are you sure that I have to make the cable on the side that rubs "longer" ??? If I pull up on that cable, the door shifts over and gets closer to center. It seems to me that I would have to give that side more tension by shortening that cable.

Someone else answered me and said that with the electric operator disconnected, and the door half way up, make sure that the door sits level---It does. Another answer said that the tracks have to be parallel with each other---They are. From the bottom, all the way to the other end, there is no more than 1/8" difference left to right. This has me totally baffled.

RON ======================================================== Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Reply to
Ron in NY

You have made sure the distance apart is the same, but it may not be perfectly perpendicular! You need to measure diagonals to make sure they are exactly the same.

Reply to
Steve C

You really need to look at the dates on the messages you are replying to. That was 14 years ago.

Reply to
Dan Espen