Where to find handles to match these?

I've got a zillion projects running in parallel, but soon I'll be replacing doors and want to find some brass lever handles to match the ones that were fitted when the house was built in the 1930s. A few of the old doors still have the original handles so I've taken a photo and wonder whether the might of this group can either identify them (a long shot), suggest where to get modern look-alikes, or suggest where to get some custom-made at an affordable price (I'll need about 25 pairs). The handles are solid brass, with quite thin back plates. A few have key holes (as in the photo) but the majority need to be plain.

Here's the photo:

(Full link
(Is there a better place to put photos for this group?)

Reply to
nothanks

The sort of thing that Salvage Hunter bloke seems to snap up ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

But seriously if the originals are solid brass, buy a cutting/buffing wheel set from halfords and polish the shit out of what you already have.

I was amazed when I did this to an old converted paraffin lamp...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you're replacing them all, then an exact match to the old ones isn't critical as long as they all look similar to one another. Be aware that a lot will be brass finish, rather than solid brass. Lots to choose from here,

or click on the 'antique' tab, top left, if you don't want to see contemporary designs. These look pretty similar to yours
. I hope you've got a friendly bank manager.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Thanks for the idea. I've just had a look at his website. There's some interesting stuff there (no handles, sadly) but the cough prices cough are rather cough high.

Reply to
nothanks

if yer 'andles are solid brass then buffed up £50/pr is not unreasonable

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's true, of course. I was hoping to try to keep the originals in use somewhere (downstairs, ideally) and look for something close for upstairs.

Thanks. I've spent quite some time searching but (doh!) hadn't thought of clicking the "antique" tab - that certainly cuts-out a lot that's irrelevant.

Similar, but quite expensive when I need so many.

Reply to
nothanks

I saw some nice door pulls, but at £180/pair ...

Flog your mismatched old ones to him to help fund all new ones?

Reply to
Andy Burns

You could try Ironmongery Direct, they have a fairly comprehensive range of door furniture.

Peter Parry

This might be an even better match, but sit down before looking at the price!

John Rumm

Thanks for finding them but 25 pairs would be £4225 - very slightly over budget.

Reply to
nothanks

They might do a bulk discount :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

You could just have matching handles on the hall side of the doors.

That would halve the cost.

Put cheaper handles upstairs - which is authentic - and that will bring it down further.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog