Fixing door handles back to back?

Hi,

I have an interior double wooden/glass door that I want to fix handles (u-shape) to. The handles we like only come with the attachment points at the rear; that is, they are like cupboard door handles and don't fix 'back to back' like the bigger door handles. (By back to back I mean where the handle on one side attachs into the handle behind it.)

My question is, does anyone know of any products or methods that would enable me to attach cupboard-type handles in a manner where they connect back to back, please?

Thanks very much, Ian

Reply to
ianbw12

Pretty simple -- assuming from your description they're threaded knobs or pulls, just use a threaded rod of adequate length to go through the door. Mount one, put it through the hole and add the other. That's simple enough if are pulls that are single-holed.

If two-holed so can't turn them in place, you'll have to be more creative. Easiest thing I can think of would be to mount the pulls to an escutcheon plate and then mount the plates to the door itself.

Otherwise, you'll have to do something clever like go in from the edge at the lockset location and fiddle around trying to fasten something through -- not an easy job.

Probably the best solution if the escutcheon idea isn't palatable is to use a knob/pull designed for the task...out of everything made, surely there is _something_ that would serve...

Reply to
dpb

Well, what you're probably thinking about is a dowel screw.

But I think I'd lean towards glue, myself. Or drilling right through the top of one of the nobs, screwing it through the door to the other one, and capping the hole.

A third option would be to glue a captive nut in one pull, and a captive bolt in the other. and screw the the two together through the door.

Reply to
Goedjn

And if each handle has 2 attachment points, like a typical cuboard handle, how would you propose everything get spun together? See where OP said 'U-shaped handle'?

I think I have a pretty good idea what OP wants to do- 'invisible mount' handles like used to be popular on storefronts a few years back, with semi-frameless glass doors. About all I can suggest is that he cheat, and offset the handles slightly from each other, with the mount bolts buried in countersunk holes hidden under dowel pegs. That will only work if the doors have a wood edge thick enough for a plug and a screwhole. I think on all-glass doors, they usually glued them, or the base of one side was really the bolt for the other, and the the handle on that side was just a press fit onto spring clips.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Thanks everyone! I've never posted to this topic before, but your replies have been very helpful.

Ian

Reply to
ianbw12