Back Door Problem

I'm having trouble getting my back door to close.

The lower part of the door all of a sudden, after a rain, is sticking out and raking the bottom of the seal.

Any fix?

Reply to
Welsh Dog

Stop letting people f*ck you in the ass?

Reply to
tmclone

Thanks,

*IDIOT TROLL ALERT*

Welshdog

Reply to
Welsh Dog

Replace it. Doors are expendable.

Reply to
dadiOH

Least you think we are all idiots and TROLLS, what is sticking out and which seal is raking?

The fix is usually the same; plane or sand the offending part.

Reply to
Colbyt

The bottom of the door has expanded and is raking against the wind seal.

I don't think I can plane it. It's wet to the touch.

Reply to
Welsh Dog

responding to

bobarchitect39 wrote: Sounds like your door is either old and needs to be replaced, or there is some problem with your door frame letting in water.

Welsh Dog wrote:

-------------------------------------

Reply to
bobarchitect39

Hmmm, the rain falls on it all the time. But why would it grow bigger?

Reply to
Welsh Dog

Wood gets bigger when it gets wet. Paint gets porous when it gets old. Add the two together, and you get a wooden door with old paint that gets bigger when it rains. It's probably also going rotten at the bottom and/ or the rainstrip's fallen off. If the frame's going rotten too, then the top hinge pulls out of the frame slightly, which lets to door drop and foul the sill.

For a temporary cure, take the door down, plane or sand a bit off the bottom, and rehang it. If you can't get the screws to bite, then you need a new frame and door.

Reply to
John Williamson

Looks like a new door for me. I don't own a plane.

Reply to
Welsh Dog

Wood planes are expendable.

Reply to
Oren

Not mine. I have a large collection of antique planes. I use some in my daily work. They love me and I love them. We're happy together.

To the OP: investigate, then make plans. Take the door off by removing the hinge pins, visually check the bottom of the door for rot, stick an awl into the wood at several spots to see if it's sound, sight along the door to see if it's warped, check the threshold to see if it moves when you step on it, etc. If the door is shot, and depending on the door, it might be easier to replace the whole door and frame. It probably wouldn't cost you much more money nor take more time.

RicodJour

Possibly it would be cheaper to buy a plane than to buy a door.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

If I buy a plane, I would at least get one door.

I Kid.

Reply to
Welsh Dog

I agree with Cindy. I bet a plane or belt sander is far cheaper than a new door. And, if, you don't own either of those do you own all the tools to install a new door? Or a door and frame?

This meant to be a lesson for all.

I wasn't born with tools and nobody gave me many. Everytime the cost of a tool was less than the cost of the labor hired, I bought the tool to do the job. Over the years with reasonable care they pay many large dividends. Far better than the stock market or much, much better than the bank

Reply to
Colbyt

I now believe Welsh Dog was making a play on words, meaning "airplane" when the rest of us were talking woodworking. His humor is too subtle for me. Anything more sophisticated than a fart joke passes right over my head.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton